Supporting a partner after SA

SA, whether it happened recently or many years ago, can affect the relationships survivors and victims have with friends, family and intimate partners.

Educating yourself about the impacts of sexual abuse and trauma will help you learn ways to support your partner, your relationship and yourself.

Supporting a partner can look like

• Listening to them and acknowledging their words

• Accepting then fully and not judging their experience

• Being patient and avoiding asking intrusive questions

• Accepting they may want to/may not want to report the incident

Sex and intimacy

Sexual contact may be difficult for your partner because of 'triggers' - strong emotions or flashbacks during sex. A change in their sex drive or desire to be physically close with you does not mean that they are not attracted to your don't trust you.

Finding non-sexual ways to show love and desire can be important of physical touch is difficult for your partner.

You can help maintain a close bond by sharing kind words, small touches or through spending quality time with one other.

Everyday is different, every person is different

There is no one way of experiencing sexual assault and so there is no one way that your partner will feel in its aftermath. Remember that they may have good and bad days despite your support. If you are struggling to deal with a part era sexual assault, the following resources and helplines are available (uk only)

• RAAIN National Sexual Assault Hotline

• Rape Crisis England & Wales

• Rape Crisis Scotland

• Child Help Hotline

Source
Everyone's Invited, Instagram

Link https://www.instagram.com/p/CvklaZOohAt/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==