2. Pray or Prey?

Roselena

Bellfire was a good man. His father owned orchards at the edge of the town and was quite wealthy, but he was too friendly with other women.

Adelia was the one to break the news that he was seen with another woman around town, and while that wasn't an issue in of itself, it was the fact that he held a private audience with her parents that convinced me it wasn't an innocent meeting. It made me uncomfortable, and I didn't want to feel that way in a marriage. I couldn't say that to his face at the moment though... I didn't take pleasure in embarrassing other people.

Adelia knew my thoughts and said the words I would never dare say, "Perhaps you missed it while entertaining another lady in the town? Hmm? I hear that's a habit of yours."

Remember when I said Adelia had a short temper?

His gaze moved to her, and I silently shoved some sweets in my mouth for comfort.

"Some ladies make it too easy, no?" The double meaning in his words was lost to no one. The women in the circle either looked amused or uncomfortable by his comment. I was livid.

Adelia was used to it and rebutted, "A man who is too busy prancing around with other women to reflect on his flaws is no man at all. Is that why you're still unmarried?"

There were chuckles and giggles as one of his friends clapped their hand on his shoulder, "Admit it, Bell. You're quite easy yourself."

Bellfire pushed his friend off and looked to me, "I apologize if I gave you the wrong impression, truly."

I looked up at him with a small smile, "It's in the past."

"Then would you be open to another visit?"

I pursed my lips, "You asked me about the letter with petty intentions and disrespected a young lady. Forgive me, but I'll have to decline. Thank you anyway."

I tugged on Adelia's arm, and she let me pull her away.

"That was mortifying. Why couldn't you practice self control?" I groaned.

"Not as mortifing as it was for him. What you just said is going to make it ten times harder for him to marry." She chortled to herself. "He may even get desperate enough to ask me..."

She faked a gag of revulsion, and I laughed.

"I wouldn't let him near you." I patted her arm.
It was a shame. Bellfire did have a pretty face. But a pretty face only went so far...

I did feel bad though. I wanted to avoid embarrassing him.

Adelia held onto my arm as we passed by vendors. I almost forgot the old man's words. My fear had calmed to an uneasy feeling in my stomach, but I didn't know what to make of it. At times the fear came back in waves, and the urge to go back home squeezed me like a vice. At other times, I felt an overwhelming calm.

During a wave of overwhelming calm, I stood with a meat skewer in one hand and fruit in the other. The fruit vendors never failed to impress me with the quality of their fruit. I was a regular shopper with Mr. and Mrs. Floir, so when they saw me, they made conversation. 

"I'm surprised you came out tonight, child." His wife was kind to compliment my dress. I thanked her with a smile.

"It's my birthday. I'm here on father's orders." I informed them dutifully.

Mr. Floir smiled, "Well, be careful. We may be in Bermillia, but there have been creatures coming out these nights."

I frowned, "Creatures?"