15. An Unwelcome Visit

Roselena

The kingdom of Dhernon was known to be a lawless place. A place of indulgence and evil, where anything was allowed, but as I looked around at the people arriving at the ball, all I saw were normal appearing people. All of them were dressed to the nines and were obviously very wealthy, but evil wasn't the first word that came to mind. Indulgent maybe.

Then again, my father always said that evil wasn't always dressed in black. Sometimes it was wrapped in beauty.

I watched from the small balcony of the master bedroom of the Ruby Palace, where the ball would be held. I tried  to keep my mind off the fact that I would soon be meeting the Queen of Dhernon. The same one who fostered such rumors of Dhernon had to be conniving and unpleasant, right? I was imagining the female version of King Rovan but ten times worse.

King Rovan was cold and unpredictable, but he at least had some semblance of self control. Though... Even his self control was a thinly veiled rage and madness at times. One moment he was fighting the temptation to swing the sword on his friend, and the next, he was looking at me like a wounded animal, telling me to keep my literacy a secret.

This morning, for example, when I arrived at his bedroom door, I could hear the sound of arguing and shattering glass. My hands shook as I reached up to knock, but the guards quickly shifted their pointy staffs to block my hand.

The King has ordered us to keep everyone out, including you, Miss.

I was secretly relieved. I already had the doom of serving the Queen of Dhernon upon her arrival and serving an unreadable, easily angered man who had a propensity for blood... that would've sent me over the edge.

My nerves grew weaker and weaker by the day. I was always around the king, making sure I didn't make the wrong move or say the wrong thing, and at night I often spent it, searching for the Most High's instructions. I had yet to know what I was doing here.

What's worse... As I grew antsier and antsier, I longed to have a sheet of paper or a scroll to sketch or journal on. That was my only escape back home, and now, even that was taken from me. Still, I was grateful I was alive to see another day. I might not be able to say the same once I meet the Queen.

I returned to the room, scanning the grand bed imbued with the scent of petals and vanilla. Sheets of deep red velvet lavishly adorned the bed, and red roses were stuffed into vases all around the room. All the red made me feel antsy, but I only had to endure until the end of the coronation.

Small flapping wings descended into the room, drawing my attention to the bed once more. A small black bird looked up at me with innocent eyes and curious gaze. The thought that it might poop on the covers dawned at me, and I gently neared it.

Most High, help me...

I took a step forward and just as I was about to try and catch it, the door opened.

"She's here." Katari said in a grave tone. I nodded as I turned back to the bed to find it open without any evidence of the bird having been there. With the anxiety I felt of meeting the famous Dark Queen — whom Adelia and I spent many days blaspheming — I chose to ignore it and follow Katar into the hall.

We were on the second floor of a less grandiose palace than the main castle where a ball would be held to begin the King's coronation celebration. One night of celebration today at the Queen's sudden request, and a morning coronation in the throne room located in the commons palace near the base of the mountain the palace was built into. It was easier for common people to access when necessary, and it held a library the Bermillian people were always welcome to visit. An unconditionally built palace called for unconventional functionality.