4. Like a Passing Mist

Adelia
Moments earlier...

I was mid sentence when Bellfire interrupted me by tapping me on the shoulder. I glanced behind me and saw him standing awkwardly, running his hand through his hair.

I raised an eyebrow, "What is it?"

"Can we speak for a moment?" He asked.

I smiled at the friends I had been speaking to before excusing myself. He lead me a few feet away from the crowd, and I found myself feeling a little self conscious. Despite this, I knew not to expect much from him. I couldn't wait to hear what nonsense he came up with now.

"You're still not finished insulting me?" I felt defensive after our interaction before.

He sighed, "You insulted my honor first, Adelia. Don't act like a victim."

I crossed my arms and glared at him, "What? Do you want an apology?"

He looked away with an incredulous look on his face. He rubbed the back of his neck, "You make it so hard to like you, you know that? Regardless, I came here to apologize for my harsh, immature words. I'm sorry."

I tilted my head, "The great Bellfire has apologized to me. Perhaps, it will rain any minute now."

I couldn't help the sarcasm. I knew deep down that he believed the words he said. That he believed I was some unscrupulous woman who easily lied under any man who gave her attention. And even if that was so, what was so wrong with that?

Everyone in this town saw me as the harlot who got lucky enough not to fall with child the one time she made a mistake. Besides, nobody ever asked me what happened. When I tried to explain what really happened, they never listened.

(!) They didn't know how often I stayed awake at night, wondering if I would ever forget how he pressed the knife to my throat as he used me. His hands pressing mine above my head on the picnic blanket just before sunset. The excruciating, burning pain, and the feelings of emptiness that dawned on me. When he was finished, he tossed the knife aside, adjusted his trousers and left me on the ground.

I went there thinking he would finally propose only to be violated and find out he already had a wife lined up. He saw me, a fatherless, motherless, young woman, and decided I was a perfect victim.

That was why I never told Roselena the truth of how I got to Bermillia or what truly happened in that forest. I let her believe the stories and comforted myself in that her opinion of me never changed.

Bellfire scoffed and nodded to himself in defeat before settling his gaze on me. His eyes narrowed.

"A piece of advice, Adelia. You shouldn't insult others and expect kindness. Actually two pieces of advice," He drew nearer and made sure to look me in the eye, "Stop meddling in Roselena's marriage proposals before she figures it out, and her father leaves you on the streets. We both know you were the one who made up such a rumor just because I had asked her father for her hand in marriage."

My arms loosened at his words and he smiled.

I only did that because I was afraid for myself. Though I guess that was a selfish excuse... Roselena is my only family. Without her, I was afraid her father would feel no obligation to keep me.

"Just behave yourself and maybe then a suitor will approach you." He stepped back and looked around.

"Now, I need to apologize to Roselena. You ruined my engagement to her... Even your conscience will allow that, no?"

I looked away, "I don't know where she went."

He frowned as he looked around, "Strange..."

I looked to and fro as well, searching for a glimpse of her white dress but saw nothing.