12. Like Father, Like Son

Rovan

Rain drizzled over the landscape, and fog placed a veil over the expanse of the mountains from where I stood under the roof of the training storage. My lieutenants stood stiff in a line as I paced before them, listening to their reports of the four regions I placed on their charge. I didn't want to take any risks, so I sent four others to switch places with them. It was incredibly important to maintain a tight ship to minimize the fall out after an invasion. It also helped prevent rebellion.

I tried to focus, but every once in a while, my eyes would float to Roselena where she sat in the corner on an old, wooden training box — like right now. Slowly, my gaze moved from the speaking lieutenant to Roselena just in time to see her yawning with her hand over her mouth.

I found myself yawning as well and quickly cut it short as I refocused my attention on the men before me.

The last one finished, and I nodded in satisfaction, "I expect a fully written report of what we spoke of today by morning."

"Yes, Commander."

Turning toward the exit, Roselena was quick to stand up and follow after me like a little duckling. When I passed the training field, she was quick to ask, "No training this morning, your majesty?"

"No." I had to shave out time to see my mother and sister before the coronation tomorrow. "Did you prepare the gifts?"

"Yes. I took them this morning." I stopped in front of Blue and felt a timely bump into my backside. I turned to look behind me.

"S-sorry, your majesty."

She bowed her head with her hands clasped tightly in front of her. A nervous tic I noticed over the last few days. I smiled unbeknownst to myself as I remembered how she clasped her hands the same way and shouted that Joaquim was smelly. That was the highlight of my week.

I'd known Joaquim since I first joined the army at 14, and he always caught excessive attention from women. It didn't help that he was the easiest man on earth. I would be surprised if he didn't have various venereal diseases by now already. Nonetheless, when I realized she covered her face to cover her disgust and not to cover her shyness, I felt incredibly pleased.

I chalked it up to the fact that she was my personal attendant, and I preferred her to be at my disposal at all times. Courting or flirting with a man would take away from the relief I felt when I was around her.

I gestured for her to climb up first, and as she did, I noticed her stumble a bit. I rushed forward to press my hand into the middle of her back, to stop her from falling backward. She regained her grip on the saddle and paused for a moment, "Thank you."

Pleased with myself, I climbed on after her and flew us back to the main castle.

Roselena was very meek, but she always attempted to say what she needed to say. She couldn't lie to save her own life given that she was way too facially expressive. I could tell when she was frightened, nervous, or troubled, but as time went on, she kept putting up a poker face. I hoped she wouldn't make it a habit.

After spending almost two weeks in her presence, I could no longer ignore the fact that she was quite a lovely woman to be around. She had an innocent air of gentleness and naivety that proved to be quite charming. While it was clear I couldn't afford to send her away, the attraction I felt toward her made me feel weary.

It vexed me. I'd been attracted to women before, but it had never been more than a momentary bout of lust. Even then, I would feel shame as I was reminded of the business my mother used to partake in. But with Roselena... I just wanted to know more.