14. An Unexpected Detour

Adelia

The only thing keeping me awake as I walked was the sharp, shooting pain igniting in my shins with every step I took. It started about two days into our journey, but it seemed to get worse by the day. Yet, I knew we had to keep pushing on. The faster we made it to the Bermillian border, the better.

Five days into the trip, we'd each gotten our own tasks every time we made camp. I refilled our water jugs at the little creek we'd been using as our guide while Bellfire gathered sticks and wood to start a fire.

As for food, we'd been lucky to come across animals as we went along, and Bellfire just carried our game in his hand. Today, we caught two squirrels and a bunny. We ate the bunny for lunch, but today's dinner would be squirrels. If we were telling the truth, this wasn't enough food to satiate all day, but I refused to touch our non-perishables. I wasn't sure how long our journey would take.

If only we could reach the mountain's edge... the tunnel was a half mile to the left of the small waterfall feeding the stream we were following.

The cicadas were loud in the evening dusk as I crouched at the edge of the creek and rinsed our water bags. As I stood up, I felt my back pop, and I winced, pressing my hand to my back. Suddenly, I was wishing I did more than make deliveries and tend to the vegetable garden back home. Perhaps my endurance wouldn't be so limited.

I was grateful for Bellfire's help though. I don't think I would have stood a chance had he not joined me. I didn't know how to hunt or start a fire, and I didn't know what forest fruits were safe or unsafe, but he did. Honestly, at this point, I was just a burden for Bellfire.

When we were in school, Bellfire, Roselena, and I used to play together with other kids in the academy. Since a lot of the kids there stayed in the dormitories, our house was the hub of mischief, especially since Roselena's mother and father had a great reputation due to the business. Then Mrs. Lucienda grew ill, and our friends were no longer allowed to come over everyday. They only came over when Jonas and his friends were able to help us study.

Bellfire and I used to get along then too, but I didn't think we had much in common as adults. He'd changed a lot since he was a kid, and he had acted snobby and uptight up until the night of the harvest. Nothing like catastrophe and calamity to humble a person.

I found I liked this relaxed side of him. It was as if the lack of expectations as the son of a rich merchant no longer weighed on him.

As I arrived at our little set up, he glanced up from kindling a fire and snorted at the grimace on my face.

"You should've taken physical education more seriously at the academy."

"For once, you're right." I admitted.

"For once?" His sarcasm began about three days ago. To my dismay, I had to taste my own medicine.

I stuck my tongue out at him as I tossed him his water bag. He tried to catch it but missed by a hair's width. I chuckled as I sat across from him.

He leaned down, concentrating again until smoke began to rise. He spoke again with a small smile.

"If you had the chance to do anything in life, what would you do?"

I blinked at him, "Food and shelter wouldn't be a worry?"

He shook his head, "You wouldn't have a need or want. This is an ideal life for you."

I puckered my lips as I leaned back on my arms and looked up at the rising moon in the darkening sky. I always fantasized about the kind of life I'd want if everything wasn't so awful. It was the only thing I could do while gardening or pulling the wagon full of orders back and forth through town.

Mercy & FireOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara