3. The Red Serpent and Its Prey

Roselena

Warning: Depictions of human remains/blood.

I was quick to recoil under his gaze as he assessed the situation. I tried to make myself as small as possible to show I wasn't a threat.

It must've back fired because he chuckled, "What's a little, weak rabbit like you doing out here in these dark forests? Don't you know there's monsters out here?"

There was a double meaning in his words. I was sure of it.

"Who are you?" I asked weakly.

He smiled, "The one who's deciding whether you live or die."

I flinched as he bent down to study my face, "Not very interesting to look at. But you do seem young. How old are you?"

"I just turned 22." I answered quickly, hoping my youth would spare me.

I was disturbed by the look on his face. It was if he was appraising a gem, and he was disappointed to see it was only a rock.

"Sir, I don't know why you're here, but please have mercy."

"This village will be colonized by the dark kingdom. I'm here on the Queen's orders, but I also somehow found you." He gripped the hilt of his sword meaningfully.

"Right about now, the King of Bermillia is being slaughtered and a new King will soon be crowned." His tone was matter of fact.

It's here. The king has come and blood has been spilled.. I glanced up at him.

"Then that means you're..."

He nodded, "Didn't think my name had reached this kingdom yet."

How could it not? Rovan Castillian came into power three years ago at only 20 years old and conquered three entire kingdoms for Dhernon.

They called him the Red Serpent. Anywhere he latched onto surely died with his venomous, blood thirst.

He had taken up the torch for the previous militant commanders before him. He was rumored to be the most ruthless killer. One of the most skilled at wielding magic among his kind.

I frowned at him as he gripped my arm suddenly and pulled me toward the direction from which I ran. I was disappointed to find just how little distance I had put between us.

"Just for my lucky catch of the night, I'll cut this ugly sight short." He said it smugly, as if he was proud of himself for something. I hoped he remained in good spirits long enough for me to make it out of this night alive.

He lifted his hand and what looked like black ashe exited his palm, traveling toward the village like a slithering snake of smoke.

"Come." He pulled me along toward his white horse.

I struggled against him for a second, but he was much stronger than I was. He only paused for a moment before tugging me forward. He let go of my arm to lift me onto his horse before climbing up himself. My right side pressed into his chest and he instructed me to hold onto him. I latched onto his arm and he frowned.

"Have you never ridden before?" He asked suddenly. I had, but I was the one steering.

He took my hands and wrapped them around his waist before I could answer. Then we were off through the darkness.

I gasped and whimpered at how insecure I felt and gripped onto him like my life depended on it. It felt so wrong to be clinging to the same man who suggested he was considering killing me only minutes before. Unfortunately, I had no choice in the matter.