24. Home Bound

Roselena

Winter of my 22nd year:

I finally got my hands on a journal thanks to Bethany, and I have so much to document that I'm not sure if I'll remember it all in one coherent entry.

I've had some revelations that I'm not sure is wise to describe on paper, but to say the least, it would have been nice to know, mama. I got kidnapped by a war king from the Dark Empire of Dhernon, and I was fortunate enough to avoid being abused in anyway besides maybe verbally. I did get attacked after trying to help out a young girl from being sexually violated and wound up stabbed, which has not been an easy recovery.

According to Katar, I was very close to succumbing to a fever, and I didn't have any major internal bleeding considering that I am still alive, but she's not entirely sure of any damage. Speaking of which, mama, I met Katar, and I understand why you probably loved her. She's a bit of a stickler now, but from what she's told me, you two were quite the troublemakers when you were young.

It's really nice to hear things I'd never known about you after so long... it's almost like you're still here with me.

Anywho, I also have an Uncle, which is weird because I never knew we had any living family. He's quite a talker. He could chat up a wall about anything and be fine with it, which is great if you lose interest in  the conversation.

I've spent the last month of my life wondering if I'd even live another day, so I'm very grateful to be alive. Despite everything, I've gained a new perspective, and I've decided to stop being so passive about everything. I'm going to speak my mind and fight for what I want, though I'm still not sure what that is. I like to think you'd be proud. And I'm sure Adelia would be too.

P.S. I've accepted that I'll likely not marry for love... And I suppose that's okay so long as it is my choice.

I stared down at the page as I sat across Uncle Valis in the carriage he'd snuck out of the city. It'd been two weeks since I'd woken up from my fever, and my wound had formed a thick scab around the intrusive stitches. Unfortunately for me, I had to remove them upon our arrival to DuPont, which was bound to be uncomfortable. I hoped the numb sensation that randomly snapped through my side to my spine would subside by then, but I was sure the bumpy ride in a carriage wouldn't help.

While I wasn't too sure about going back to the same place the king found me, my father's letter instructed us to stay there while he and Jonas arranged getting help from the Kingdom of Fioretia. Apparently, they were allies with Bermillia on the basis that they would continue being our primary trading partners in terms of weaponry and fine metals. With Dhernon in control, I was sure the flow of goods had stopped, and my father was likely convinced they were willing to try and help us defeat Dhernon to fix it.

When I wasn't feeling anxious about returning home where I could easily be found, I worried about Katar and Bethany all alone in that safe house with nothing but one of my Uncle's men to look after them. I hated leaving them behind, but being at my side was far more dangerous for them. Truly, my attachment to Katar was no reason to endanger her any more than I already had. When Bethany tried to insist she come with me as an assistant, I refused persistently.

I didn't want to risk being the reason Katar was separated from another one of her children. She'd sacrificed so much already, and honestly, the prospect of having an assistant felt ridiculous.

When I said goodbye to them, Katar wrapped me in a warm hug and swayed me side to side, just like my mother used to. It made me cry when I realized that I was embraced by the same woman who comforted my own mother.