Chapter Two

I was still strapped down, but to a hospital bed this time. I looked around the white room. I scrunched my nose to the smell of disinfectant and chemicals.

I was alone and hoping that the voice would keep me company. But it didn't. It was gone. Just like the rats.

Everything was now quiet apart from my mom slightly snoring in the chair next to my bed.

"Mom." I spoke up, trying to wake her up. It worked. Her eyes fluttered open, landing on me right away. She sat up straight in her chair, smiling at me.

"How are you feeling?" She asked, grabbing my hand. I bit my lip, looking around the room.

"What's going on?" I asked. She looked down and pressed a button next to my bed. I wasn't stupid. I knew it was to call someone in.

Nurses and a doctor soon stepped in the room, smiling at me. They were all so fake.

"How are you feeling Harry?" The doctor asked. A police officer stood behind him. The doctor noticed me staring at him.

"Don't worry. Officer Morgan is only here to protect me." I frowned.

"From what?" He let out a sigh.

"You're a smart kid Harry. I'm sure you heard about schizophrenia before." I nodded.

"We have found out that you have schizophrenia Harry. It's nothing to worry about. All you need is some medication and to see a doctor twice a week." He explained. I shook my head, not wanting to hear any of it.

"I'm not crazy!" I yelled. Mom put a hand on my shoulder and told me to calm down.

"I know you aren't Harry. You're sick and it's something you can easily live with."

I shook my head. This couldn't actually be happening. It was impossible.

"So he's protecting you from me?" I asked. I already knew the answer. They thought I was dangerous because I was crazy.

I was hating this.

Mom smiled slightly, rubbing my shoulder. "Don't worry Harry. Everything will be fine."

"We gave you some medication while you were sleeping for your schizophrenia. Are you feeling any different?" The doctor informed me. I looked around the room. I couldn't lie. I did feel different. The voice had disappeared and the rats had vanished.

I wasn't sure if I felt safe or lost. Who would lead me the way now?

The doctor let out a sigh, seeing I wasn't answering.

"Dr. Parson is one of the best. She is still young but is great at what she does. You will love her." I simply stared at him. I couldn't care less right now.

"You will meet with her in an hour. Officer Morgan will accompany you." He gestured to the officer. A nurse then stepped in the room with a tray. She placed it in front of me, telling me to eat up.

Officer Morgan came over and unstrapped me from the bed, letting me sit up to eat.

I frowned at the food. It looked and smelled disgusting. I couldn't eat this. So I pushed the tray away.

Mom frowned. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"This food looks like shit. Can we even call it food?" Officer Morgan chuckled.

"How about you get dressed and we leave for that meeting?" He suggested. I nodded. I just wanted to get this over with.

————————————-

"Is this what you do? Drive crazy kids to the looney bin?" I asked Officer Morgan once we stepped out of the car. He led the way to the buildings front doors.

"You're not crazy, just sick. And this isn't a looney bin. You aren't staying here. You're only visiting Dr. Parson in her office." He explained, opening the door for me. I rolled my eyes and stepped in.

We walked to the front counter where an elderly women sat, smiling up at us.

"You must be Harry. Dr. Parson is waiting for you in her office. It's the second door down the hall." She pointed in the right direction. I nodded and made my way down the hall. Officer Morgan followed, telling me he would stand outside the door and wait for me.

I really didn't care what he would do.

I knocked on the door once I arrived. It didn't take long before the door opened and one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen stood in front of me. She smiled widely and mentioned for me to come inside.

She then closed the door and told me to take a seat while she did the same.

"Harry, right?" She asked. I nodded. She had long blonde hair pulled in a pony tail with bright blue eyes. A total beauty.

"I'm Dr. Parson. But please call me Ray." I scrunched my nose up a bit. Ray was usually a name for guys.

My stomach started making weird noises, screaming out for food. Ray frowned.

"Are you hungry Harry? I have some snacks." I didn't have time to answer. She took some cookies out of the desk next to her and handed them to me.

I smiled and thanked her. I opened the bag and started eating.

They were delicious.

"Now Harry, do you understand why you're here?" I nodded.

"I'm crazy." I simply answered, eating another cookie. She shook her head.

"You're sick. You have schizophrenia. Do you know what that is?"

"I'm not sure. Is it that I see things?" I guessed.

A teacher talked about it briefly a few years ago. People all turned to look at me when he brought it up.

Guess I'm the last one to know I'm 'sick'.

"Yes. Schizophrenia is actually a brain disorder in which people interpret reality abnormally. It may result in some combination of hallucinations, delusions, and extremely disordered thinking and behavior." She explained. I nodded.

I understand why people think I have schizophrenia now.

"What do you think your symptoms are?" She asked.

"Rats and God." I simply answered. She tilted her head to the side a little.

"What do you mean? Please explain." I nodded.

"It's impossible to have that many rats everywhere. They always follow me and try to hurt me." I explained. She nodded.

"And god?"

"He speaks to me."

"Speaks to you?"

"Yeah. He directs me. Shows me the way." She nodded and jotted down a few notes on a paper.

"You do understand that those things aren't real? That it's because of your illness?" She asked. I looked down at my hands.

In all honesty, I wasn't sure. Everyone was saying that I was sick but I didn't want to believe it. I wasn't sick. I was an angel. I had a gift. The voice told me so.

"I'm not sure anymore." I whispered. There was no point in lying. It would only make things worse.

She nodded once again and continued writing.

"I'm going to prescribe you some medication to take. I will see you in a few days and I want you to tell me how they are working for you." I nodded and she handed me the prescription. I then left and Officer Morgan drove me back home where mom was waiting. She held onto me for hours, crying.

I couldn't help but cry too. Seeing her hurt like this was killing me.

And it was all my fault.