The Night Rider V

Jeongin couldn't bring himself to hate Jisung. He saw a bit of himself in Jisung. He saw a bit of Minho in Chan.

     Long story short, Jeongin and Minho hadn't always gotten along.

     Technically, if you asked Jeongin, they 'never got along.' Maybe that was true. Even now, Jeongin would gladly punch Minho in the face at every given time.

     But there was a time when Jeongin was pretty sure he would be six feet under if Minho hadn't considered the consequences of committing sibling murder. Granted, Jeongin was the one who was mostly at fault. Minho wasted no resources reminding him of that. Jeongin had been that bratty younger sibling everyone hated.

     Not like Minho was completely a victim. Back when he was in middle school, he developed a fondness for playing pranks. Harmless ones, really. Like pretending there was a ghost in the house or making some of Jeongin's rulers magically disappear. But with the way Jeongin tattled on him, it made it look like he was planning to commit a mass murder every day. Minho had gotten the slipper and grounded the day after April Fools thanks to Jeongin.

     Not just pranks either. A playful punch to the shoulder or an accidental slip of a bad word like 'loser' and Jeongin was off to blabber to his parents. It was a wonder how Minho put up with him ("I didn't," Minho would deadpan. "I dreamed every night of me giving you a high five in the face with a chainsaw.")

     It didn't help that Minho was a very... honest person. He had no brain-to-mouth filter. Whatever was in his head was bound to come out of his mouth.

     Sometimes, that would be positive (Like the Halloween when Minho had yelled out "Cuteee!" and smothered him with hugs when Jeongin had attempted to dress up as Soonie,) but most of the time, it also meant he didn't keep his attitude in check. And since Minho thought lesser of Jeongin than a week-old rotting bread during those days, it led to a lot more conflict.

     Things reached a collision course one faithful Mother's Day. Jeongin was in grade four and Minho in the seventh. Jeongin had spent a week at school crafting together coloured paper to create a flower to give to his mom, along with a handmade card. He was quite proud of his gift and practically skipped home the day it was finished.

     Minho had already been in a bad mood that day after bombing a science test he hadn't been able to study for because he had to babysit Jeongin while their parents were working extra hours at work (and Jeongin was a very demanding kid. He couldn't stand being left alone for more than ten minutes.) So when he got a good look at Jeongin's gift when he arrived home, he didn't even try to sugarcoat anything.

     "That looks like mushed-up cat food," he said nonchalantly while putting his shoes away.

     The house shook that evening with the temper tantrum that ensued.

     That night, Jeongin could hear the fight downstairs. Or more like Minho being on the receiving end of a lot of yelling. Jeongin felt a little guilty. Maybe if he hadn't made a big deal about Minho's comment, Minho wouldn't be in so much trouble. But nevertheless, Jeongin had refused to give his flowers to his mom, too hurt by Minho's words to see it as anything more than a mess.

     Minho gave Jeongin the silent treatment for almost a week. It was a weird feeling. When he was with Minho, Jeongin wanted nothing more than to get away. But without Minho, there was a strange emptiness that only... Minho could fill. Jeongin hated that week.

     Then came the day where Jeongin had arrived from school and Minho whisked him away from the house. It came as a shock after so many days of minimum contact.