Magic III

2008.

     Minho was eight years old when he found his Soulmate and realized why Soulmates are so difficult to understand. He is ten years old when he learns that people still judge what they cannot understand.

     By now, most of the student body knows that Minho and Jisung are Soulmates. Like lifemarks, a Soulmate isn't anything to be asked about. People can make assumptions but unless a pair publicly declare themselves as Soulmates, the question Are you Soulmates? will never be answered.

     Of course, Minho and Jisung, being the kids they are, run around and tell their entire bloodline that they're Soulmates.

     But it's quite obvious as time flies by. The way Jisung can always tell when Minho is sick even when he doesn't know it himself ("Your right ear turns red," Jisung has said as he leads Minho home,) the way Minho just knows whenever Jisung is in trouble or distress ("A feeling like I'm being struck by lightning," he calls it as he finds Jisung having tripped over a rock and twisted his ankle.) It's the numerous sentences they finish for each other, the captivating way they can read each other like a picture book, and how no matter where they are, one will always find the other.

     So now, it's the middle of summer and the two boys are lazing around at the park. Eventually, they settle down on a bench and in a few minutes flat, Jisung is snoring, his head perched on Minho's shoulder. Minho doesn't bother to wake him up. Wherever there's silence, Jisung falls asleep. The sweltering sun doesn't help matters.

     That's when a young couple 'stalks' them. Doing quite a bad job, if Minho says so himself. They whisper in the corner, having smiles as if they're looking at a newborn baby. Finally, the woman walks forward.

     "You and that boy... you seem to be very close friends."

     "We're Soulmates," Minho says bluntly, because he knows that's what the woman is really asking.

     The woman suddenly looks taken aback. "Both of... you boys?"

     "Yes. He's one of my best friends," Minho says, not understanding the shock, not understanding why what he's saying is such a peculiar thing.

     This isn't the first time. The odd looks, the whispers, the hidden questions continue, until Minho is finally told why.

     "When most people think of Soulmates, they think of a couple," his father explains. "So people aren't used to it when that isn't the case."

     Minho frowns. "But I thought Soulmates could be anyone."

     "They are. But most people can't wrap their heads around that fact as quickly. It's easy to understand when two people who are meant to be get married and build a life together. It's a lot harder to understand when none of that happens yet those two people are still meant to be."

     Minho's head spins. "Are Jisung and I... wrong?"

     His father cuts that question down with an appalled look. "Never question what the stars have given you, Minho. You and Jisung are magic in your own way and you're happy. It just might take people a bit longer to get used to."

     Minho doesn't believe in magic. But... he gets the point.

     It isn't like he and Jisung couldn't be lovers. But from the moment they met, they both knew that just wasn't the case. Their hearts belong to each other but not in that way. They will guide each other through life and live it together even when it may be separately. Many more people will cross their paths along the way but both boys know that's perfectly fine. Distance does nothing to their connection.