Magic VIIII

June 10th, 2017.

     14. Go to a party!

     Nothing more needs to be said. Minho and Jisung are in high school and attending a party is an essential criterion. But invitations are scarce for wide age groups and Minho and Jisung want to experience their first party together.

     As the school year is coming to a close, Minho thinks their chances are dwindling away. But then, Seungmin saves the day. He lives in one of the nicer houses in town and his parents are away for the weekend. He gets to hold a 'last month of school' party and invites everyone on the newspaper team, saying they can invite their friends too. Minho thanks him profusely, inviting very odd looks from the latter.

     "Guess who's going to be a party kid!" Minho holds the shiny envelope (Seungmin is extra like that) up to Jisung, a grin on his face. "And it's a costume party!"

     "Oooh, let's go with Soulmate costumes!"

     "What would that even be-"

     "Leave it to me! I'll be at your house at 6!"

     So the day has arrived but unfortunately, Minho would right now rather fall off a tree a hundred times than attend the party. Why? Because it is Seungmin's party. And wherever Seungmin is, there will be a Hwang Hyunjin.

     To back it up, Hwang Hyunjin is another staff member on the newspaper team. He's Seungmin's friend and the two stick together like glue. There are rumours around school that the two could be Soulmates but neither of them is jumping at the chance to prove them. Minho doesn't see it as far- fetched but that question is far from his problems.

     The week before, he had given constructive criticism on Hyunjin's piece on the ups and downs of the entertainment industry. Okay- maybe it hadn't exactly been constructive. Maybe Minho had been stressed because of the coming newspaper deadline and had said a few choice words about Hyunjin's article. And maybe those words hadn't been per say... very nice .

     Long story short, Hyunjin kicked a chair against the wall. "You're a real jerk, you know that?"

     "If you find me a jerk, you're going to love the people in the real world," Minho deadpanned. "So either redo the piece and have it on my desk by next week, or you can pack up your stuff and quit. I assure you, it won't be a huge loss."

     By this point, Hyunjin's face was completely red; by anger or embarrassment, Minho didn't know. He stalked dangerously up to Minho, his fist clenched. "Why you..."

     "Hyunjin, leave it. He's not worth it." Seungmin took Hyunjin's arm, pulling him away. "Let's just go."

     Minho would have been thankful to Seungmin for saving him from a possibly fatal injury if his cold tone weren't directed at Minho. Minho knows he and Seungmin aren't really friends, so insults aren't out of the question. But it still does bruise his pride as an editor to have one of his most trusted colleagues speak of him like he's a mere insect on the wall.

     Hyunjin shot Minho a death glare before leaving the room. "This isn't over, Minho."

     Minho's face stayed neutral, unwavering from the threat. But the threat still feels real and Minho isn't particularly eager to figure out its legitimacy at his first party.

     He's mid panic when Jisung comes crashing through the window, armed with a bulky backpack. "I have the solution!"

     Minho blinks multiple times. "Okay, first of all, just because the window is open, doesn't mean you come through the window . And second of all, solution to what?"