Magic IV

2009-10.

     The List began when Minho started middle school. He remembers the first thing on the list as clear as day. In a way, he'd thank his English teacher for that.

     The class was given a creative writing assignment that counted for their final grade. They had recently finished a class read-aloud of a story with a sad ending. The task was to write an alternative ending to the story provided it fit with the story's worldbuilding, events, and characters.

     When Ms. Mater hands the marked assignments back, Minho is the only one who doesn't receive one. He's about to point it out when Ms. Mater walks by his desk and tells Minho to see her after class.

     Sure, Minho had found the assignment difficult and a bit boring, but he has no idea what he's done wrong. That is until Ms. Mater brings out Minho's story and places it on her desk. An ink-heavy C+ stains the corner of the page.

     Minho gulps and begins to open his mouth until his teacher beats him to it.

     "I called you here because I want to explain to you why you got the grade you did."

     So Minho stays silent as she explains.

     "You have a strong narrating voice, Minho. You have a clear opinion on why you think your version of the ending is the best and you definitely explain it. But have you ever heard of the phrase 'show not tell'?"

     Minho shakes his head, not understanding where his teacher is going with this.

     "It means you let the actions of your characters and the story's events explain your intentions more than you yourself, the writer. You weren't able to explain the thoughts and feelings of the characters. You explained why the new event is good but you didn't do a proper job of describing the event and how your character feels amidst the situation."

     Minho's face contorts with confusion. Maybe he does understand what Ms. Mater is getting at, but he isn't sure what he needs to change. How is he supposed to write what a character is thinking if he doesn't know the person? They don't exist, how can he tell their thoughts and feelings?

     Minho voices this concern and Ms. Mater only gives a knowing look. "Minho, you have trouble portraying emotion and stakes. Readers won't be able to understand when a character is terrified, or sad, or happy."

     Minho frowns. "But I said so." He points to his paragraphs. Character A was sad. Character B was cheerful. Character C does not trust Character D.

     The teacher laughs. "But there are far more expressive and impactful ways of explaining those feelings. You remember our unit on literary devices. You used very little."

     "What's more impactful than telling something as it is? Then I'm not keeping anyone guessing."

     Minho shuts his mouth immediately, waiting for the scolding for talking back. Ms. Mater is on the chill side but no teacher likes an outspoken student.

     But Ms. Mater only smiles. "I get where you're coming from, Minho, I really do. And that is why I want to give you the opportunity to raise your mark to a B."

     Minho gasps. "Really?"

     "That's right. I wanted to save this for our future unit, but I think giving this assignment to you now will be beneficial. You know what a newspaper is, right?"

     Minho nods. His parents read it every morning and Minho always takes a peek at it too. And not at just the comic sections either.

     "Instead of writing your new ending, I want you to report it. You're an outsider but you need to write about the event, taking a favourable viewpoint on it. Think of interview questions to ask the characters about the event. How would they respond? Overall, why is this new ending a good thing and who does it benefit? You already wrote a lot about that in your story, but I think it would fit more in a newspaper article."