Chapter 5 - A Demon!

Maxine's point of view

I knew very well I got up late even though my roommate Pansy had warned me beforehand. What was even worse was that I took even longer just trying to put on my tie. Before giving up and deciding not to wear one at all.

I started walking towards my class knowing full well that I was late and lost. Well not completely lost as Regulus had helped guide me. At the same time, he scolded me for being so late to classes. When I walked in I saw Harry and Ron walking towards their seat as I quickly sat next to my new bestie Draco. McGonagall started to scold Harry and Ron and looked at me as in a way of telling that it involved me as well. At the same time, she looked at my outfit as she pointed at where my tie would have been if I had put it on, "Make sure to dress more... properly next time Miss Potter."

In the next class, I decided to sit next to Harry since I started to fear that we wouldn't be as close together not that we were in desperate houses. A man wearing black rushes in, "There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate...the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few...who possess the predisposition...I can teach you how to bewitch the mind..and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame..brew glory and even put a stopper in death. Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in..." Soon I started to get bored as I saw Harry making notes. Until Professor Snaps called Harry out.

He then asked Harry a question to which Hermione raised her hand quickly. As he kept asking Harry questions that neither of us knew. As Harry spoke back to him making him walk towards us as he sat directly in front of Harry.

"Put your hand down, you silly girl! For your information, potter.. asphodel wormwood—"

"Make a sleeping potion and it's known as the draught of the living dead," I said copying what Regulus had told me. But Snape only continues.
"At the very least your sister knows something.
Why aren't you all copying this down?" He soon left and I quickly made notes before I forgot what he said. As he leaves and takes off points from Gryffindor.
.
.
.
Soon we had our next class a flying class. As we started to say up for in hopes our broom to go up. It took me two tries before the broom finally went up in my hand.

We soon mounted our brooms but then Neville started to fly as his broom went out of control. Soon Neville fell from a high height making me flinch as if I felt the pain just by looking at the fall.

But Harry and Draco ended up going up against each other on brooms making me shake my head at Potter who looked away when I did. It happened so fast that it had frightened me that he might have fallen off as I yelled out at Harry but thankful he managed to catch that ball Neville or whatever it was.
.
.
.
"Turns out your brother is a seeker." Spoke Regulus as we walked down the hall. "Have you done quidditch before?"

"I was the best seeker in Slytherin." 

"Really then it sounds like you were amazing when you were in school."

"I'm not sure about amazing. I simply tried my best is all. Why don't you try it out? Quidditch is a fun sport I'm sure you'll like it." Regulus spoke as I shook my head.

"Not if I'm going against my brother. Now stop talking I feel like I'm getting weird looks now." I spoke back to him but suddenly I found Harry with his friends down the hall.

"Hi, Maxine!" Spoke Hermione with a big smile.

"You want to come along." Spoke to Harry as I nodded and tagged along without asking any questions.

We soon arrived at where the trophies were held only to see James Potter as a seeker of Gryffindor. "Harry, you never told me your father was a seeker too."

Harry turned to me as I shrugged, " I didn't know." For a moment it felt strange. Why didn't I feel anything? At that moment I had a question in mind, 'Was James Potter really my father' Deep down I could feel my gut feeling trying to tell me something as ignored this feeling I was getting.
.
.
.
I was in the common room with Pansy, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle. As I studied spells with a book in hand. While Pansy clings to Draco as he tries to push her away. "I could see your having fun there Draco," I said with a smirk on my face as he glared at me. But the moment I looked up I saw something dark. I quickly looked at my book in hopes it would go away as I started to hear what sounded like breathing close to my ear. As Regulus tries to push whatever it was away only to fail as he gets thrown across the room. Believed it was like any other spirit but this one was different we both knew that the moment it fought back with force like no other. I could hear Regulus telling me to run as the thing was focused on him. The hair was in a mess and had a rundown outfit and its fingernails were too long to the point it had cracks on it. But of course, no one can see. "Max are you alright you look pale," Pansy spoke with a concerned tone. "Uh, I really need to use the restroom. I'll be back." I spoke quickly as I rushed out of the room. I sprinted up the stairs.

I was out of the dungeon as I kept running. The halls looked rather empty and silent maybe a little too silent. I saw a figure down the hall making me crash into a boy around the same age as me. I stumbled to catch my balance as I looked back at the boy to check if he was alright only for my hair to be yanked rather roughly as it pulled me to the ground dragging me as I struggled. Whatever this thing was, wasn't a human nor a spirit, no it was more like a demon. I could see the boy reach out to me as if trying to help with his face full of shock, "Don't!!" I screamed as I shook my head violently. My head was filled with pain as it kept yanking me but I managed to grab its hand that was tight on my hair. Luckily I was able to pry the hand open as I kicked the figure. I quickly stood up only for a force to shove me into the wall. Pain flooded me as if I was struck by lightning.

This thing was quick and I knew immediately it was a demon. It's appearance and it's strength. But most of all when it got on me I saw its face. The face of a woman paler than a ghost would be with yellow rotten teeth and eyes as dark as night.
What frightened me the most was the look she gave me. A smile, a huge yet evil smile that sent chills down my spine as my eyes began to tear up from fear. This was the first time I had encountered a demon. I didn't know what to do as its long hands wrapped around my neck choking me. "I need your body, girl. Finally, someone who I can possess." Its voice was really hoarse as she kept smiling at me. I dig my nails into its hands as I thrash around trying to get a gasp of air even for a moment. I tried to kick it but it had me in a position where I couldn't, at the same time I was slowly losing strength and consciousness.

Finally, Regulus came to the rescue as he grabbed it and made sure to punch it once. I quickly sat up and I gasped for air before coughing up a storm. While the boy who was still in the hall ran down towards me. I looked at where the demon was as it slowly sinked down into the floor.  "Are you alright your neck is all bruised up." As tears fell down and my head spun like crazy. "It's nothing. Pretend like nothing happened." My voice came out more hoarse than I expected it to. "Nothing! You were just thrown into the wall right before me.
Something even dragged you by the hair. And you call that nothing." The boy pulled me up as he placed an arm around me and he supported me up. We started walking with my head. "I'm taking you to the hospital." As I no longer could talk with how painful my throat felt.
.
.
.
.

When we had finally arrived Poppy Pomfrey who was the nurse saw the wounds on my neck as she led me towards a bed with the help of the boy.
"Whatever happened to you?! Your all bruised up." She spoke in a very worried voice as she turned to look at the boy for answers. "I'm not sure I just found her like that." He responded.

Poppy Pomfrey healed to the best of her capabilities as she managed to ease the pain in my body and wrapped a bandage around my neck carefully before telling me to rest. The boy stayed before speaking, "Are you feeling better." I nodded as I tried to speak only for me to find it difficult until I was able to muster up two words, "Your... name..." I pointed at him.
"It's Theodore Nott." He spoke with a bright smile on his face as I nodded. "I would ask yours but you're not doing so good. I'll ask you once you get better. I have to go now but I'll see you tomorrow." He spoke as I nodded.

That was how I met Theodore Nott that day.

"You can rest. I'll make sure to protect you better this time. You need to recover fast before that thing comes back again."Regulus spoke in a soft tone as  I nodded, feeling rather reassured to have him here.