Chapter 2 - 3

"Have any of you seen the Traveller?"

I still sought after answers to the disappearance of Rukkhadevata, and I figured the Traveller would know best. Even if they didn't know, they had connections to the Dendro Archon herself.

However, everyone I asked had only a vague idea as to where the Traveller was-- the desert. First of all, I absolutely despised the desert heat. Second of all, the desert is a literally endless expanse of sand, sand and sand. Unless you mark a map for me I'd never be able to find the Traveller.

I cursed to myself, wishing I had asked about the Irminsul when Cyno was chatting to the Traveller...

Perhaps Cyno knew. I had left midway through their conversation, and the Traveller may have mentioned their next adventure to Cyno.

Cyno was probably resting in the city, since he was still quite scratched up. I felt bad for not attending patrols two days in a row, but I needed answers.

"Master Tighnari? Are you going to the city again?"

I nodded, smiling at Collei, who just left her hut.
"Yes, I am, Collei. Is there anything you need?"

"Well, I'm just wondering if you're just going to see Cyno again..." she said quietly, although I could almost sense a little tease in her tone.

"...I am. But it's something important."

"Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehh."

"Collei... don't get the wrong idea. I don't love-

"Then why are you turning red?"

I touched my cheeks. They were indeed turning hot. Collei seemed to enjoy teasing me. I had always thought she was rather extroverted by nature-- the only reason she didn't act so was due to her trauma. If she was feeling comfortable right now, I supposed it wouldn't hurt to let her tease me a bit.

"Love is important!" Collei exclaimed, before returning to her hut.

...

As I travelled to the city, I kept contemplating my feelings. Perhaps I did love Cyno... But surely not. We were just very good friends. Even if I did like him, he wouldn't like me back anyway.
Cyno was a conventionally attractive guy, and there were probably loads of people after him. Even if he was scary... And he didn't seem that fruity anyway.

Okay, maybe he did act a bit fruity around me. Love is confusing. Which is why I've never been in a relationship. I haven't even had any real crushes. Until now, I supposed.

...

"Come in," Cyno shouted.
The Akademiya facility Cyno was staying in was pretty much just a dorm. I looked around, but it seemed Cyno had made to changes to the plain walls and dusty shelves. Well, I mean, he never had the time anyway.

"Oh, Tighnari. How are you?"

Collei's words repeated in my head once again. Cyno usually asked people what they needed when approached, but he was asking how I was. Isn't that sweet?... Is that sweet?

"I'm fine as always, thanks."

Cyno sat on his bed, patting the spot beside it. I sat very close next to him, as usual. But after I considered my feelings, it really did feel as if we weren't just friends...

"What do you need? Sorry if there's blood stained on these sheets..." Cyno said, scratching the back of his neck.

"Disturbing... oh right. I'd like to ask if you know where the Traveller is, or heading to."

Cyno thought for a while.
"Oh right... I think the Traveller mentioned staying at the Tanit camp for a while. They're friendly with an Eremite from the Tanit tribe, I'm guessing."

"Thanks so much, Cyno," I chirped happily, "Seems I can always rely on you, heh."

"Well, the General Mahamatra has to be a reliable person."

"Your jokes aren't reliable though..."

Cyno made an overexaggerated expression of frustration, that reminded me of pesky children.

"Alright, I should get going. I wish I could stay longer, Cyno."

"Hold up. Don't tell me you're just going to stroll through the desert on your own to find the Traveller..."

I sighed, putting my hands up jokingly. He had seen right through me-- I guess we were that close.

"Whatever, go ahead and stop me-

"No, I'll come with you,", Cyno said simply.

(697 words)
(Total chapter: 2031 words)