Chapter 4 - 3

"Uh... No. Only your ears are cute. And your tail," I replied in stutters.

"Aw, what a shame," Tighnari meowed.

Did he just flirt with me?

Tighnari returned to the bedside like nothing happened, and started stripping the old bandage off me. I couldn't help but feel a tingling sensation every time his soft, slender fingers came in contact with my skin.

"Aaaand... done."

"Thank you, Tighnari."

He smiled, shifting his position on the bed to face me. Tighnari's face then grew serious.
"I'd like to talk to you about something, Cyno."

My heart started beating really quickly. Was it was I thought it would be? Probably not... knowing Tighnari, he would probably just kiss me.

Now that I think about it, he did come very close to my face back in the desert cave. Love is awfully strange. I had dated someone for a short while during my Akademiya days, but it didn't really work out at all. It was just utter chaos and a few sessions of... lustful activities.

"You mentioned that you overheard my conversation with the Traveller," Tighnari said, clasping his hands.

Of course it wasn't going to be a love confession-- that was really screwing with my head.
It was something much more serious.

"Yeah, I did," I murmured, "And I think all three of us know that it could be dangerous to ever mention it again."

"...You didn't listen to our conversation deliberately, did you?" Tighnari asked, his face suddenly draining of colour.

I froze. In all honesty, I had decided to spy on their conversation. I looked down, ashamed. My knowledge of Rukkhadevata, and now also the Balladeer, could cause the Irminsul to corrupt once more.

One silly mistake from me could deem a god's sacrifice completely and utterly useless.

Tighnari observed my face, and grimaced bitterly.

"Cyno... You did. I appreciate your company, but why do you always stick around me? Can't I have some privacy??"

"I'm just worried for you, Tighnari," I said, starting to raise my voice, "There are so many dangers and-

"For Archon's sake, Cyno, you're not my mum! I am completely capable of taking care of myself-

"Nobody's perfect on their own! I- I just want to help you out... because..."

"Because what, Cyno? Why do you care so much!?"

"...Because I love you, Tighnari."

I turned around and darted away as fast as my body let me before I could hear another one of Tighnari's stinging words.

...

The sky was already dark by the time I finally got to my senses. I didn't know how far I ran- I just wanted to run away from 'him'.

I glanced upward. An array of massive trees blocked my view of the luminescent moon.

It was no problem. I didn't want to set my eyes on it tonight anyway.

A wave of fatigue washed over me, so I sat down helplessly. I looked down at my waist. The wound seemed to be reopening again from all the running I did.

I cursed to myself, leaning my head onto a sturdy tree trunk. Suddenly, I heard the sound of footsteps. I attempted to quickly hide, but a strong pain ravaged my body. It caused me to grunt in pain, and I held the tree to support myself.

"...Cyno? What are you doing here? Night's already fallen!"

The source of the footsteps was none other than Collei. I sighed in relief, and slid back down into a sitting position.

"Did you hear my argument with Tighnari?"

"Uhm... yeah... it was really loud."

"Sorry," I murmured, not sure what to say.

"It's fine... Well, I am on patrol right now, but there's also something else Master Tighnari told me to do."

I faced Collei, tilting my head slightly in interest.

"He... erm... told me to say that he loved you too. And that he was sorry. And... uh... oh no, I think I forgot the last part. B- But hey...! What's more important than love, right? Heheheh..."

All I did was stare down at the floor. So... Tighnari did have feelings for me too. And my stupid mistake might've already shattered all we had.

"...Don't worry about it. Can you do me a favour too, Collei? Tell Tighnari I'm going to the Sanctuary of Surasthana to solve a little problem."

(718 words)
(Total chapter: 1852 words)