Chapter 6 - 4

As I hiked up the path towards the Sanctuary of Surasthana, the weather seemed to take a turn for the worse. The sun was now almost entirely shielded by the dark array of clouds, but the rain wasn't falling yet. It felt ominous, almost.

Soon enough I arrived at the doors of the Sanctuary. Just busting in was definitely a bad idea, but what other ideas did I have?

I opened the double doors. Surprisingly, there was nobody to be seen. There was a glowing object in the shape of a cube in the centre of the Sanctuary, where the 'birdcage' sat. I strolled towards it.

Surely there was going to be some sort of gimmick, right?
This felt too easy. Even a baby could do this.

The transparent 'box' was now right in front of me. It had an intricate floral pattern along the edges and a glowing orb in the centre. I shut my eyes and reached for it with shaky hands, hoping for the best.

Suddenly, there was a strong light that tinted my eyelids blue. I slowly opened my eyes.

I was stood on a grey floor, seemingly of a path, as there were glowing tracks either side of me and 'walls' that were characterised by the occasional beam of light. The 'memory box' was still being cradled in my grip.

There were multiple 'paths' around me, and they all led to a luminescent, aegean blue tree. It had interesting, linear branches that went straight upward. Its bark was beautifully littered with carvings that almost seemed hand-drawn.

Was this the innermost part of Irminsul?

I slowly made my way towards the tree. Maybe all I had to do was place this box inside... And then everything would be done. Just one last step to undo my mistakes. One more chance to bring my beloved back.

Even though Cyno would never be brought back to life, the memory of him being existent was enough for me.

But as I got closer to the tree, I noticed two familiar figures at its base.

"..So he did come," Wanderer mumbled.

"Of course he did," the Dendro Archon replied, turning to face me.

Everything was too perfect... of course it was. This was just a trap. At that very moment, I was just a lost fox caught up in a snare.

"I sympathise with you," the Dendro Archon said, slowly walking towards me, "But we can't risk Cyno corrupting the Irminsul with memories he shouldn't have. I don't know why you have memories of the erased either... But you do not exist, so it is alright. You have to give that record back to me."

My grip only tightened around the box of Cyno's existence.

"I... won't give it... to you," I uttered, stepping backwards as both figures got closer to me.

"So you would sacrifice the world for him? Is this what he'd want?" she raised her voice very slightly, still edging towards me.

I stopped backing away.

The Dendro Archon was right. Would Cyno really want this?

...But I wouldn't want this.

Cyno had made many self-destructive decisions in the past. After all, he was a weapon for the sake of the world. He would sacrifice himself for the good of the people, but I would sacrifice the people for him.

We lived in a very big world, with all kinds of people. I suppose that's how Cyno saw the world. But ever since I met him, he was my world.

And my world had crumbled apart, but I was about to fix it.

"You're in the way," I snapped.

Wanderer sneered, summoning a ball of Anemo in his palm.

"You're in our way too," he answered.

(592 words)
(Total chapter: 2343 words)