Chapter 1: Innocent Start

A/N: Hello, basically this is the third book of Claiming Lucian. The Claiming Lucian (2nd version) in my profile is composed of two arcs/two books: Let there be light and Let there be something. If these were to be published in amazon, it would be divided into three books not just 2. Thank you! Anyway, it has been almost three years since I published haha 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lucian-onii, please smile!" Buck and Ziru tried to cheer me up. They pulled the edges of their lips widely in an attempt to squeeze a giggle out of me. They would have more chances of getting something from a dried up lemon.

"Are you okay, Lucian? You seem... quieter," Caleb commented.

When I didn't reply, the werewolf was about to show off his coconut advertising skills again but was whacked in the head by Slade.

"Lucian, don't think too much about it. Whatever happened to you and your people before was never your fault," Sevor comforted.

"Oi, it's not that I'm worried about you but you haven't eaten breakfast. Did the carrots taste bad?"

They fussed about me too much. They should be angered, vengeful, and hateful yet they showed me empathy that I didn't deserve. As soon as a fight sparked between Slade and Caleb, I took the chance to sneak away.

"Where are you going?"

I stood still upon hearing Peaches' deep voice.

"Nowhere..."

I was struck by a wave of dizziness. Before I could collapse, the reaper was beside me, holding me securely.

Right after the angel's revelation, he fell into a deep slumber, leaving me with the burden of knowing what my kind went through for me. All those lives were sacrificed for my sake and because of me, Queen Titia became a catastrophe. I had caused too much suffering to those around me. Why did they have to become the seed to plant my existence?

My uncle was wrongly accused of being a traitor when he was one of those who gave their life for me.

For why did I exist? Will more people die in my stead?

"I need to get away from them. It is safer. I only bring harm and disaster," I explained.

"You lied about finding a crater of food hidden in the camp. I saw you use your powers," he told me. The tone of his voice was meant to chide me.

He observed whatever I was doing without fail. I once caught him this morning watching me urinate and Caleb had to chase him off. I leaned my head against his warm chest. He wrapped his left arm around my back, making sure that he didn't touch the throbbing rotten wing behind me.

"The children were starving. I didn't want them to starve..."

He released an exasperated breath that overwhelmed my cold body with shivers.

"If you keep this up...you will die and your death will cause the suffering of many."

I flinched as my chest grew even heavier. I placed my hands on his shoulders to peer at his glowing vermillion eyes.

"May it be life or death, I have caused many sufferings. If I do not belong to the living and if I am not part of death, where do I really stand?" I asked.

I did not have the right to live yet I also did not have the privilege to cease my existence.

"Please go back. I will find my brother and see if he knows how to fix the rotting pinion growing behind me."