Chapter 9: Crown the uncrowned

"Lucian, you have visitors," Raphael informed me first thing in the morning. He stared at us from above, scowling but more on to the werewolf sleeping without a care in the world beside me. Caleb and I were on our sides with him spooning me in his arms. He groaned from Raphael's intrusion, raising his middle finger at the angel.

"What's that?" Raphael queried with both confusion and annoyance.

"From now on this finger means Fuck you and Fuck off."

Raphael rolled his eyes. "It is devastating to know that Lucian is mated to an immature ruffian like you."

Caleb whined, burying his nose against my neck and thrusting his morning wood in between my thighs to bring our bodies closer to each other than they already were.

"Lucian, the hen is bullying me!!!"

Raphael yanked Caleb by his hair, aiming the sharp end of his spear to his face and ready to spike him like a fish in the ocean.

I sighed. "Please do not intimidate nor hurt this manchild. He is a treasure that must be protected and spoiled at all times."

"Pampering him would only worsen his unbearable and greedy attitude!"

"My my, what boisterous youth in such a fine and pulchritudinous morning!"

That manner of speaking...

I sat up, turning my head to the entrance of the grotto. Garrison stood there with a smile, holding his white and elegant parasol to shield himself from the slightly warm rays of the early morning sunlight.

He was taken aback by my rushed greeting. His parasol was dropped to the ground as he returned my embrace.

"Oh Your Highness, it is unbecoming of a prince to display your nakedness. You should be more au fait with your surroundings, especially with these carnal men around you."

His hug tightened. I couldn't bring myself to reply as words were stuck in my swollen throat. He placed his slender hand on my crownless head and stroked my back with his other.

"I have heard from the dragon twins of what had occurred. It is truly shattering to discover that one of our people took so many innocent lives."

"Yes..."

"Segreth should have known better. Our sole purpose is to spread life and become the source of it. What was he thinking?"

I swallowed, shifting to lean the side of my face to his chest.

"Yes..."

"You are blaming yourself for it, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"Why so, my Lord?"

"It is my fault, is it not? They got involved in my dispute with the kingdom. If they didn't meet me, they would still be alive. If my parents only accepted my death, no Ancient would have been sacrificed. Queen Titia wouldn't have taken her own life. I am still alive yet I bring more death than any catastrophe."

Garrison gently peeled me away from him. He stared into my eyes, refusing to release my attention.

"The king and the queen have done unreasonable things to bring back their son at the cost of many sons, daughters, wives, and husbands. The late King Caspian made his decision to sacrifice his life to escape his duty. It is only natural for you to bear the burden. Feeling remorse only means that you are not like them. The only thing you can do now is to make reasonable outcomes for their unreasonable choices. Make their passing meaningful by making use of the life born from their deaths."