Chapter 11: Darling

"If you were a chicken, you would be impeccable..."

A cough dared to erupt from my throat from what Raphael said. I bit my bottom lip, hindering the growth of my smile. I was enjoying myself too much. Behind Raphael's charming expression was a man who was minutes away from losing his wits.

Raphael and I made an agreement. It wasn't through words. It wasn't through careful deliberation. My stare gave him a pretty good idea of my plan and he wasn't very thrilled about it. He glanced at me and then at the Phoenix before vigorously swinging his head, pleading with me.

He was our only chance; I could not simply waste this opportunity. After short moments of convincing the Phoenix that Raphael was a suitor and cajoling Raphael that he was a suitor, she was more than welcome to accept him and Raphael had no choice but to give in. Raphael had to swallow his puke when she winked at him. I guess he wasn't into his kind after all.

I created two chairs by intertwining numerous vines. I moved a cylindrical rock between them, wrapping their table with colorful flowers that ranged from red, white and pink. I had consulted the voices in my head and followed whatever the women told me as Uncle Caspian said and I quote: "We need a woman's touch in this one."

They sat in front of each other. The female avifauna was much taller than Raphael by a few inches. She giggled at Raphael's humor (?), attempting to lightly slap Raphael with her blazing wing. Fortunately, the angel dodged and laughed nervously from the near death experience.

"Oh you! You can peck me all you want!" she flirted. "I don't bite...but I can definitely burn anyone into ashes." She winked.

Well that didn't lighten the mood.

Raphael faked his laugh. He quickly glanced at me with a wince before returning his attention to the bird. I hid at the level lower to where they were, clutching on the rocks so that I wouldn't fall on my death. I didn't want to intrude on Raphael's courting skills.

My back faced the ocean. There were scattered rock formations along the clear blue green waters. Creatures in their unique forms and mammoth-like sizes swam underneath before the surface broke from the scrimmage of a three-headed serpent and a sea dragon with purple scales. They appeared to be lethal.

Were they perhaps an acquaintance of my half brother?

Raphael continued to lay out sweet words and talked about their future, their children's future, and their children's children's future. I never thought developing romance would be this time consuming. At the very least, the Phoenix was gullible to every word. Raphael could talk about frying their kids for breakfast and she would probably bat her eyelashes to it.

"But I must ask, what brought you here? Don't tell me you came all the way up here just to pursue me?"

Raphael cleared his throat, rolling his shoulders to lessen his anxiety.

"Well...you see...I was searching for directions towards true love and fate directed me to you," he answered while leaning forward. I would have clapped my hands but I didn't want to disrupt his focus. He must have had some practice. The amount of sweat he had could sustain the ocean.

The Phoenix squawked. "Oh you sweet talker!" She moved her wing to cover her beak, shyly staring at Raphael through her blazing lashes.

"But I must admit that I am afraid of falling in love."

Raphael gulped yet quickly put on a charming smile. "You can fall from a tree and you can fall from a cliff but the best way to fall is if you fall for me."

If the other four were with me, they would have taken their lives rather than to continue listening to this.

The fires of the Phoenix grew stronger. She lowered her head to lean closer to Raphael's face. " I like my eggs fertilized especially by a gentleman like you..." She whispered in a risqué manner.