Chapter 7: Change me

Courage is the key to freedom and freedom is the key to life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The man who claimed to be my step-brother raised his gaze on the top of my head. He must be inwardly questioning why his half-brother from a royal family had no crown.

Caleb, Peaches, Raphael, and Crowley tensed when my 'brother' walked forward and placed his hand on my head. He shut his eyes, exhaling before withdrawing his hold from me.

"Lucius isn't here yet but you are welcome to wait."

"When will he be coming back?" I queried.

"Who knows?"

Why was I not surprised with his answer? He sounded like he knew how Lucius made promises of his return but would only sprout out of nowhere after a few decades when you no longer expected him to.

Leviathan watched me closely; I fell into a trance after realizing that my older brother might take another eighteen blue moons again.

"But he did come back for you, didn't he?"

I inclined my head forward. "He did."

He faced the ocean, watching the push and pull of the waves that drenched the sands of the shore. "Keep moving forward, Lucian. Don't focus on the passing time. The more you pour your attention on the days without him, the more you'll grow weary. He did not retrieve you from your prison just to imprison you into his protection. He is counting on you to fulfill your duty to live with or without him."

I swallowed the growing lump in my throat, straightening my posture and glancing at his taller and broader form. "He doesn't need to come back to me."

"He doesn't?" Leviathan clarified, the edge of his lips curling up.

"He has a mission to save the world and I am here on a mission to pay what the Ancients owe to the world."

He lowered his head in thought, snorting and walking forward to meet the waves.

"The two of you...really get on my nerves."

He changed into his serpent form and dove back into the ocean. He kept things simple, short, and quick. He was the complete opposite of Lucius who made things dramatic, complex, and long.

"Please follow me; there are grottos ready for your temporary dwelling," Saber said.

The sun rested; our diverse caravan got a well-deserved rest after a hearty meal that the Tourmaline tribe had prepared for us. Peaches savored the seafood, especially the ones with tentacles, that the drakes had to fish for more to keep the servings coming. I had no clue how they knew that I was to be served with merely vegetables. Saber only said "He knows" in referral to Leviathan.

Frey was kept in a separate grotto when we informed Saber of his status and how he was our prisoner. He protested non-stop from his spot, not knowing how we could hear him perfectly.

"Don't you know who I am? I am the Prince of the Vosredal Empire! You reptiles will all pay! You will all pay for this humiliation that you have given me! Prince Lucian, do not think that I have let you off the hook! I will make sure that you suffer the most!"

"He's like a broken parrot," Crowley groaned.

"I don't know why we still keep him alive. I would have spiked him from his butthole all the way up to his throat," Rui grumbled.

Crowley and Ziru winced.

"You're a ruthless kid," the Hanuman commented.

"Don't you ever put that tail of yours close to me," Ziru warned.