Chapter Three

Before getting to the Bear Valley, Martin wanted to make sure everything at home stayed settled. After a brief phone call with a bar manager, he stood inside the walk-in closed, trying to choose what to pack for the weekend.

Since he felt unsure what type of activities Kennedy had in mind, he decided to take two sweaters and warm pants for the occasion. The weather mostly stayed humid, so it seemed the best choice to have warmer clothing.

"Don't you think it's strange that Kennedy didn't tell you why you are all meeting?" Stacie asked, giving Martin a green sweater.

Martin sighed, "We are talking about K, so everything is strange when it comes to her," he said, folding his sweater and stacking it in his bag.

"I still don't like this idea. You being away for the entire weekend," she said, stepping closer to Martin. "What if something happens?" Stacie caressed her growing belly, keeping her gloomy eyes on it as well.

"I will be just thirty minutes away, darling," Martin clarified, walking closer to her. He rubbed Stacie's tummy. "And you still have six weeks to go," he added and leaned closer, kissing his wife's cheek.

"What if someone will break in or something?" Stacie asked, lifting her eyes to meet his sight.

"We have the best security system, darling, and besides, there were no break-ins here for the last two years," Martin reminded her.

Her soft hand slid through his cheek, the thick bristles seemingly tickling her palm. "Still don't understand why you can't meet here or even at the bar?" Her warm smile melted Martin's heart.

It held difficult to say no to his wife, but Martin knew Stacie appeared a bit more paranoid in her third trimester. Even with him in the house, she seemed jumpier. He guessed she dwelled on a crime that happened a few years back. A pregnant woman was attacked and robbed, and she lived down the street.

But with a new mayor, the neighborhood seemed cleaner, on more than just a crime rate, people seemed nice as well.

"Right, the bar," Martin said and nodded, stepping back from her. "I left Joe in charge of that, so you don't have to worry about it."

The pair's main income came from owning a bar, it wasn't something Martin felt too passionate about. He inherited the bar after his father passed away. His true desire stayed with animals and nature, and he even had a veterinarian degree.

But life formed differently and pressured by Stacie, Martin kept the bar instead of selling the establishment. The bar belonged to his grandfather and then to his father so it was a family business.

Although Martin dreamt to open a veterinary clinic he never did. First, he had to take care of the bar and all the money they saved went into buying a house after they found out Stacie was pregnant.

"I thought so," she said and nodded. "And Dylan came back too?"

Martin looked at his wristwatch. "He should be on his way there," he said, moving back to the bed, and zipping his bag.

"How long has it been?" Stacie asked as Martin took his blue jacket.

"Ten years, well you have seen his photos, but he has not been back in Alaska for ten years," Martin explained with a sigh. "Maybe he is bald by now?" He wondered at loud, lifting his head to the ceiling.

"You need to let go of those insecurities, darling," Stacie said with a laugh. "And look, you have a very real beard now," she added, smiling lovingly.

"Yes," Martin agreed and nodded, tossing his jacket onto his bag. "After ten years of many tries. He always mocked my beard, and all I want is some justice."