Chapter Thirteen

"Just as expected," the voice said, emerging from behind the tree. "Took you long enough this time." Helena raised her eyebrow. "What no Martin?" She stretched her lip downward, faking the sadness. "And I expected the reunion." She stepped closer. "Prohibere. Works every time, bravo for going this far." She clapped her hands.

A rustling sound continued to appear from the pit. Helena stepped closer, soaking the view in front of her. She showed no emotions toward her findings.

Hayden's body twitched, and his skin started to regain its looks. He moved his head to the left, his eyes still held closed. The crown shined as his head wiggled to the sides. Helena smirked and raised her sight toward Dylan and Kennedy. And soon she looked behind them. Noah stood still, his hands intertwined on his chest.

"Noah," Helena said, motioning toward the pit with her head.

"No!" Kennedy yelled, seeing Noah jump into the pit.

They stood stuck once again; it felt more than Deja Vu, Kennedy thought. She felt helpless, and they were so close. It remained unclear how long it takes to fully resurrect a person, but what seemed clear the crown worked. The rustling sound stopped and Kennedy lost her last hope, realizing Noah removed the crown from Hayden.

"How many times will we have to do this?" Helena asked, holding a smirk. "Honestly, I don't know why you even try." She stepped closer to Kennedy.

"What does that mean?" Kennedy asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Oh come on K," Helena said with a laugh. Her chuckle echoed through the vast space. "You are a smart girl. Think, and I mean really think." She smiled devilishly.

Kennedy's eyes held wide as she stared at Helena, her cheeks felt scraggy. Dylan scanned Kennedy, not realizing what Helena meant. But Kennedy understood. Or maybe she finally remembered. Maybe she was oblivious to the truth or the fact that she focused just on Hayden prevented her from remembering the right things.

Kennedy used the Reminiscor spell so many times, but her focus always stayed on Hayden and Resurrectionis arca which blinded her from other things she might've forgotten. And at that moment, everything lined up in her head. She remembered Dylan's Deja Vu feeling back at the bunker at that time she brushed it off as a memory from their teen years, but she was wrong to do so.

Two years ago, she traveled to Japan to visit Dylan and convince him to attend Martin's wedding. The trip took a slight turn as they couldn't keep their hands off each other. It wasn't the first time that happened, or at least that was how they remembered.

They spent part of the time exploring a few cities. That led them to an antique market where they found a certain vase. The item held a pull to both of them and as soon as they touched it everything turned.

Both of them woke up in the hospital. People in the market saw them pass out and called an ambulance. It took them a few days to get out of the hospital, doctors tested the pair since it seemed unlikely two young people would lose consciousness at the same time for no apparent reason. As soon as they released them, they took a flight to Anchorage.

Kennedy slowly blinked, realizing they were in this position more than once. Kennedy's trip to Japan ended in Alaska, and not in the way she or Dylan remembered.

She felt unsure how many times they tried to resurrect Hayden. It was clear that each time the group regained their memory, they first hoped to get Hayden back. However, Kennedy remembered that last time Helena caught them in the bunker while they looked for the box.

"How do you always manage to do this?" Helena asked. "I'm just curious." She scanned Kennedy's neck. "Well, this time I can blame just myself," Helena added, staring at the necklace.