Chapter Seven

Kennedy paced back and forth through the room. The spell slowed down Dylan's fall, and he avoided injuries, unlike her. As soon as she touched the necklace two months ago, the same thing happened to her. The difference was that no one was there to make her fall less painfully. She rubbed the top of her head; still detecting a bump, her landing left to her.

She should've prevented this, but she lost her focus as Dylan's hands touched her. He will understand now, she thought, trying to find a positive aspect. Kennedy didn't have a plan for this, she realized that earlier in the evening. She just thought she would talk with them when they found the chest. It seemed safer for them that way. But perhaps Dylan remembering everything will soothe her worries.

It was three a.m. so Dylan has been unconscious for the last two hours. It took approximately three hours for Kennedy to wake up when her spell broke. She knew the time of waking up varies depending on how much the spell rewired a person's memories. Considering Helena used the same spell on all of them, Dylan should be awake in an hour. She halted, hearing a sound coming from the corridor.

The room door held open, and Dylan slept on the wooden floor. The view would look confusing to anyone. Kennedy realized Martin had traveled toward the room, presumably to use the only bathroom in the cabin. She had to think fast, he probably saw the light in her room.

Kennedy looked at Dylan. "Corium," she quickly whispered.

She hopped over Dylan and rested on the bed. Her breathing felt hectic as she closed her eyes. The spell she used hides items and the only one who can see the item in question was the spell caster. She felt sure it worked, as Dylan seemed discolored and glitchy to her.

Kennedy rested on her left side, her knees slightly bent and her palms tucked underneath her head. She took long breaths, trying to even her breathing so she would appear deep in sleep. She felt someone's presence in the room, and soon the floorboard slightly squeaked. From the proximity of the sound, she judged the person was standing near the bed.

A ticklish feeling visited her as the blanket covered her body. Soon, with a hushed click, the light from the room vanished. With a creaking sound and a silent thud, the room door was closed.

Kennedy stayed in the same position for the next thirty minutes in case Martin would come back to check on her. But as she started to feel sleepy, a loud groan reached her, she soon turned on the lamp which stood on the nightstand.

"Ostende," she said, canceling her previous spell. Kennedy kneeled near Dylan as he opened his eyes.

"What the hell happened?" Dylan asked, sitting up.

"How do you feel?" Kennedy asked, helping him to sit.

"Dizzy,"

Dylan's eyes grew wide as he sat down, resting his elbows on his knees. Kennedy guessed he remembered something. She moved to the bed, sitting down on it. Dylan stared into the distance. She knew he needed a bit of time therefore she waited. Five minutes passed, and Dylan finally looked at her.

"That bitch," he cursed, standing up from the floor. "How long?" he asked, peering at Kennedy.

"Not sure," she said, shaking her head. "I don't remember everything yet."

Dylan's eyes traveled to her neck. "How did you get it?" He pointed at the necklace.

"That's a long story," Kennedy said, inspecting the floor.

Dylan stuffed his hands into the jeans pockets. "I have time, and you have to tell me everything now." He looked at the door. "And we have to tell Martin."