Chapter Eleven

"That was your plan?" Dylan questioned, staring at Kennedy. "Seriously?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

The pair sat in Dylan's car, Lexus's engine held in a steady rhythm as the heater poured hot air into the space. A slight vanilla smell reached Kennedy as she tucked her loose hair behind her ears.

They left Martin soon after Kennedy used the spell. But stayed in the car across the street from Martin's house to make sure he was okay. Martin looked around and rubbed his chin. Kennedy felt sure the spell worked as he locked his car and traveled toward his house.

Kennedy felt guilty using the same spell as Helena, but she didn't see any other choice. Obliviscatur rewired memory, everything depended on what the spell caster wrote on the paper. The caster can write little details or leave some parts to chance and change just bigger events in a person's memory. Kennedy had little time to write the spell and based it mostly on what Helena used on them before. Forcing Martin to forget, he regained his memory of the magical world and added minor details about their time together.

"It's the way to protect him," Kennedy said, looking through the foggy windshield.

By now all the street lights were lit, and Kennedy lost sight of Martin for a moment. But soon he appeared on the porch of his house and traveled inside.

"I get your intentions, I really do," Dylan agreed. "But he has a right to decide."

"I know," Kennedy said. "He would have to choose between his pregnant wife and his best friends. And knowing Martin, he would choose both, and we can't have that in this situation."

Dylan lightly nodded and suddenly stopped. He stared at Kennedy with narrow eyes as she buckled her seat belt. Her hair fell and hid her face, she soon tucked her hair back behind her ears. She felt Dylan's sight following her every move.

"Do you have paper for me as well?" Dylan asked, staring at her. Kennedy stayed still, gulping on a lump in her throat. "I figured. Don't you dare to use it," he said, shifting to the windshield. "We are in this together."

Kennedy simply nodded and looked at Martin's house one more time as Dylan drove down the street. Soon he turned left and drove toward Flattop Mountain.

"You are driving the wrong way," Kennedy said, realizing Dylan drove back toward the cabin.

"I need to rest K," Dylan said, shaking his head. "And you look tired as well."

"Are you saying I look bad?" Kennedy asked, raising her eyebrow.

"I would never say that," he explained, glancing at Kennedy. "We barely slept, and the hike drained me as well. And we need to pick our things anyway," he paused. "And Martin's stuff as well."

"Fair point," Kennedy mumbled, remembering her car was still at the cabin.

"About the cabin," Dylan said. "We are breaking the entry, by staying there." He glanced at Kennedy.

"I rented it," Kennedy said. Dylan raised his eyebrow. "I have been using a fake name for the last two months. So that Helena wouldn't find me."

Dylan contained his laughter, forcing Kennedy to furrow her eyebrows. She knew why he wanted to laugh; Helena could track them down by using the supervenio spell. The spell traces a person and the spell caster would appear in an astral projectile state, seeing the desired person. But Kennedy was smarter than Dylan gave her credit.

"I'm using occulto, obviously," Kennedy said, Dylan nodded and drove further down the snowy road.

Upon regaining her memory, Kennedy used a spell to hide her locations. Before conducting a plan to get the resurrection chest, she needed to first find the most important piece. She needed to find Hayden. Technically, he was missing, therefore his body wasn't buried in a known location. Kennedy guessed they hid Hayden so he wouldn't be found. She wasn't sure what measure Helena took to hide him.