Chapter Nine

"Martin!" Dylan shouted, running toward his friend. "Tardius," he said just before Martin settled on the concrete floor.

Martin slowly landed on the ground, the statue slipped from his hand, and the crushing sound echoed throughout the bunker. Dylan looked at Martin's eyes, they shined bright blue, but a few moments passed and Martin's eyes closed. Dylan moved closer to Martin and observed his friend.

"We could've easily avoided this," Dylan said, shifting his sight to Kennedy.

"I told him not to touch anything," Kennedy said, flipping ledger pages.

"You brought him to a bunker, stuffed with weird stuff, of course, he's going to touch something," Dylan pointed out, squatting near Martin. "I told you we need to tell him everything before coming here," he added, examining Martin.

"Well, he will be out for at least three hours," Kennedy said, reading the ledger. "In the meantime, we need to find the box."

"And talk," Dylan said, standing up. "I'm honestly having a major Deja Vu," he added, walking toward the shelves.

"We have been here so many times, it's probably that," Kennedy said, closing the notebook.

"I don't think it is," Dylan replied. "Obliviscatur rewires the memory, they theorized it that after the spell is broken: a person remembers things which are most important to them, but not fully everything. So we probably still don't remember a lot."

"Dylan," Kennedy whined.

"For once in your life, just listen to what is actually important," Dylan said. "I know you have never been too interested in history, but it's important," he added, walking along the shelves. "And if we are going against Helena, we all need to know as much as we possibly can."

"It's not that I'm not interested, but I'm different from all of you," Kennedy explained, picking another ledger. "I had no one to teach me this stuff," she added. "So I just learned what you guys told me," she said, flipping the pages of the notebook.

Kennedy's heritage had never been clear. The Blake family adopted Kennedy at birth, and her biological parents were unknown. And her adopted family wasn't aware of the coven's existence in Anchorage or that their daughter possessed magical powers.

They formed the Coven out of a few families, and all their children would be a part of the coven as soon as they were born. In a few situations, the coven accepted outsiders as well. That was how Kennedy became a part of the Coven, soon after discovering her powers.

The Herondale family led the Coven for generations. A firstborn in the Herondale family would be the most powerful witch, being able to connect with all four elements at once. And on their twentieth birthday, they would become the head of the coven.

As the Herondale family history said, they held power in a magical and non-magical world. In the modern times, Herondales were politicians, lawyers, and judges. They were thought to seek a powerful position and for years groomed to become the next head of the coven.

The majority of witches could connect to one out of the four elements: earth, water, fire, or air, and draw power from them. Since the coven leaders could connect to all four, they appeared unstoppable. On rare occasions like Dylan some witches could connect to two elements, from a young age he felt connected to air and earth, making him a desirable addition to any Coven.

There were many legends about the coven and its leaders. One of them said that three hundred years ago a younger brother killed his older brother and obtained his brother's powers. The legend always seemed like tabu among the coven, since it tainted the good name of one of the influential coven leaders.