Chapter Eight

It seemed like a late morning as Martin woke up. He remembered being woken in the middle of the night by a harsh wind and rain pouring on the metal roof. The day appeared much nicer as he looked at the unsealed window. He lifted the sheets, and his body developed goosebumps. Martin realized the cabin grew cold during the night. He put on the sweater and socks, staying in his pajama pants. Soon he left the room and traveled to the end of the corridor.

He used the bathroom and knocked on Dylan's room door. Martin planned to ask Dylan to help him with the fireplace. After three knocks, the doors still didn't open. Therefore, Martin opened them just to see an empty bed. Thinking that Dylan perhaps was already awake, Martin climbed downstairs.

The first floor appeared empty as Martin stood on the wooden stairs. The front door seemed locked, and the fireplace remained unlit. He bent down, seeing the empty kitchen area as well. Scratching his chin, Martin walked to the coat rack. He got dressed in a coat and put on his shoes.

It didn't take long for Martin to come back with firewood and light the fireplace. As the fire progressed, he moved to the kitchen and turned on the coffee machine. A slurping sound appeared as an old coffee maker poured the dark liquid into the pot. Meanwhile, Martin looked through the cupboard, finding cups. He soon inspected the fridge, sipping the coffee. Deciding he would make pancakes for breakfast, he took out the ingredients.

He baked the third batch of pancakes as the stairs squeaked. Martin flipped the pancakes, noticing Dylan near the bar. Dylan wore the same clothes as the day before. He seemed tired. Dark circles appeared under his eyes, and his hair looked disheveled.

"Smells good," Dylan said, sitting on the stool.

"Taste good too," Martin said, placing a plate with three pancakes on the bar. "Coffee?" he asked, glancing at Dylan.

"Sure," Dylan replied, cutting the pancakes with the fork.

"How did you sleep?" Martin asked, pouring coffee into a cup.

"Great," Dylan answered, biting the food.

"That's interesting," Martin said, placing a mug in front of Dylan. "Your bed was empty when I checked it." He raised his eyebrow, looking at Dylan.

Dylan's eyes widened, and he chewed food in slow bites. "I made the bed," he said.

"Cut the crap," Martin warned. "How stupid do you think I am?" he asked, Dylan, opened his mouth. "Don't answer," Martin added. "I know you and K have been hooking up for years. Don't see a point of hiding it, but it's none of my business."

"You said nothing," Dylan declared.

"Don't see the point. It's not like you two will be actually together," Martin replied.

"You never know," Dylan said, washing the food with the coffee.

Martin laughed, and Dylan furrowed his eyebrows. "Oh, come on," Martin said. "Don't look at me like that. You know she has major commitment issues. Who knows why, but she does have them."

"Okay," Dylan said with a nod.

Martin scanned his friend. He felt suspicious. Dylan gave up way too easily. Perhaps he changed, Martin wondered. Martin soon finished his coffee as Dylan continued with the meal. Martin dropped his mug into the sink and traveled to the living room, adding a few more logs to the fireplace.

"I'm going to get dressed," Martin said, looking at Dylan. "Finish breakfast and wake up, K," he added, stepping onto the stairs. "We need to move on that hike." He halted for a moment. "Did you ask about the hike?" he wondered, scratching his chin.