Chapter Eleven

JACK

Me and Tsuki scramble into Danny's car, and he quickly gets going to the hospital. The three of us received calls from the nearby hospital, explaining that Tanoshi had been hurt in a fight. We have no knowledge of what has happened other than that, and even though the three of us did try to call and text him, nothing came of it.

A couple of days ago, it was revealed by Suji that Tanoshi was the lead in a criminal gang that Suji was in (despite doing nothing) and even though we are angry, we decided to go to the hospital to see how he was doing and possibly get some answers.

The hospital is around fifteen minutes away from Danny's home, so to pass the time I check my phone numerous times and I text Tanoshi even more, while Tsuki texts Suji. Suji has also been extremely inactive, and despite reading all of her texts, Suji has been avoiding Tsuki like the plague, and its stressing her out massively.

We tap away at our phones while Danny drives us to the hospital, and soon enough, we get to the hospital. Danny parks fairly close to the entrance, and the three of us dash out of the car park and into the hospital lobby.

We try and compose ourselves and look presentable before going up to a reception desk. The smell of disinfectant lingers, and I take deep breaths, hoping to not seem to scared or animated. I go up to the nurse sitting at the desk and I politely ask her what room Tanoshi is in. She leads us to a lift and tells us which floor and unit he is on, before she runs off to help a patient into a wheelchair.

As the three of us get into the lift, silence comes upon us and we can't really say much. Right now, we are focused on what we need to do; find Tanoshi. We get out of the lift, and head to the specified unit of the hospital. As we are walking to the main ward that he is in, I notice numerous people speeding past us, screaming for help. Amongst the people are numerous nurses, pushing a young man out on a stretcher down the corridor quickly, signalling to each other on what to do next.

The sight worries me and I feel slightly more tense than before, as I picture what kind of damage has been done to Tanoshi. What if he's been severely hurt, and can barely breathe? What if he's got broken bones?

As much as I am worried about him, I force myself to stop thinking about the potential damage he is in and to focus on the main task - asking him for answers on why he is the lead in a gang that Suji is in, and why he deals drugs and robs shops.

We get to his room in the hospital, and Tsuki knocks on the door. A nurse quickly opens the door, nods at us and looks over to Tanoshi, who I can only briefly see. He's lying in a hospital bed, with cuts all over his body, and the odd bandage here and there. The nurse calls out to him, and she makes way for us to come in. Another nurse, who is checking his temperature, motions for us to sit down in three chairs which are facing Tanoshi's bed.

The nurse steps away from him and says "I'll leave you with your friends." in Japanese.

She steps away, revealing Tanoshi in bed, smiling quietly to himself, his eyes red and bandages all over his body. A couple of tears escape his eyes, before he opens his mouth to speak, his hands trembling.

"I suppose you want answers for what happened on Friday." he says, looking up at the ceiling.

"I'll give them to you." he adds.

"There are two major things that happened."

"Here's number one."

Tanoshi clutches his trouser pockets and takes out his phone. He begins to scroll and clicks on numerous things before handing his phone to me. It is Suji on his contacts, and I scroll through the texts to discover that it was actually Suji that had done the robberies and dealt drugs. The text differentiate hugely from the ones that we saw on the projector at the party, and he looks up at me sadly.

"I felt like I had no choice."

"He'd have probably killed me if I didn't comply."

"The stuff that would supply would be fake, so don't worry, I never got my hands on anything illegal."

"The second reason..."

Tanoshi sighs, and I see tears form in his eyes.

"I got into this mess purely because Kyou was cheating on me with Suji."

Me and Danny look at Tanoshi, and then Tsuki. Her face turns a bright shade of red, and she looks utterly mortified, before she bursts into tears, beats her thighs and runs out of the room screaming and crying.

Tanoshi frowns at me and Danny, before saying quietly "Sorry to change the subject, but why did Tsuki get so upset?"

"I mean, its me who dated Kyou, so I don't think she has any kind of reason to be upset."

Me and Danny look at each other, and I nod at Danny.

"Suji and Tsuki were dating." he says, his breathing shallow and quiet. He sighs and looks down at the floor, looking extremely pissed off.

"Tsuki didn't want anyone else to know, however me and Danny caught her making out with Suji in an English classroom a little while ago." he adds, looking ashamed of himself.

"Damn." he says.

"Good luck trying to tell her that you know." he says, trying to reassuringly smile.

"Thanks." me and Danny say in unison.

I cast a look to Tsuki, who is crying outside as a nurse tries to comfort her. I look over to Tanoshi and Danny and I signal that I'm going to go and talk to her about what's been going on. They nod, and I slowly walk outside of the hospital room. As the nurse is trying to comfort her, I gesture to the nurse that I'm going to try and talk to her, so she steps back.

I move closer to her, and she looks up at me, tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry to be like this, Jack..." she says quietly, before hugging me.

"Can I be honest with you?" she also says, wiping her tears with her jacket sleeve.

I nod and put my arm around her.

"I dated Suji."

With that, she barrels into me and starts bawling, gripping onto my chest and shoulders as she cries. This goes on for a good few minutes, and it almost feels like an eternity. After she slowly stops crying, I tap her shoulder and she looks up at me slightly, trying to awkwardly smile.

"I know." I say quietly, silently hoping that her reaction isn't a bad one.

I decide to say more and explain things, so I go on.

"Me and Danny saw you kissing him, and we heard what you said to him."

"We didn't want to interrupt you, and we wanted to keep your privacy as well."

"In short, we wanted you to be happy."

"Unfortunately, Suji's a bitch to everyone, including me and Danny, and that's how it is."

"He's always thought that me and Danny were 'foreigners' and because we didn't want to split anyone up, we didn't tell you."

"I'm sorry."

She looks up at me, smiles and hugs me. I hear her whisper "Thank you." and the two of us stay there for a good few minutes.I lose track of time quickly, and it feels like it's been thirty seconds before Danny interrupts us.

"Are you guys coming in to actually talk to Tanoshi or what?" he says sourly.

With that, the two of us head back into the hospital room. As we are walking back in, Tsuki leans closer to me and whispers "You and Danny aren't foreigners. You are unique. He isn't." and the two of us look at each other happily. As we chat to Tanoshi, I notice that even though Tsuki looks heartbroken, she also looks bright and happy.

That right there, is the Tsuki that me and the gang know and love.