Chapter 1. Arc 1. Breathing

You were sitting alone at the final selection waiting for it to start. You sat reading since you couldn't talk. "Ara~ why is such a handsome boy sitting alone?" A female voice asked you looked up and saw 2 girls with butterfly hairpins. The older looking one had a butterfly Haroi. God dammit. Why did people have to come talk to me? Maybe if I ignore them th- "What's your name?" The older girl asked. You sighed as you reached into your bag and took out a leather notebook with a dragon on the front. You opened it to a blank page and wrote your name. The 2 girls looked in confusion. "Ah! Your mute~?" The older girl asked. You nodded as you handed them the notebook for them to read. "Y/n-San? That's a beautiful name!" The older girl smiled. "Y-your Haori is q-quite pretty." The younger girl stuttered. The older girl handed you back the notebook and you wrote something else. Thank you. My Haori was passed down from my grandfathers father. And so was my name. You passed the notebook back. "Ah! I see!" The older girl smiled. You shot a glance at your starry sky Haori, and looked back up at them. Not trying to be rude but why are you talking to me? You wrote in your notebook and showed it to them. The older girl smiled and sat down. "We just saw you were alone and thought we would give you a bit of company! Is that ok?" She asked still smiling. You nodded, as the younger girl sat down. "I'm Kanae! And this is my younger sister Shinobu!" She said still smiling. After a few minutes a horn blew and 2 girls who looked to be twins came out. "The final selection is now open." They both said. You picked up your back and clipped your notebook to your belt, and stood up. It's time to show the world that being mute is fine. I will become the first mute Hashira! You thought as you walked with Kanae and Shinobu. This was going to be difficult. You Shinobu and Kanae made quick work of the demons you came across, Kanae using Flower Breathing and Shinobu using Insect Breathing. You however didn't use yours as it was still not safe to use. As you slashed demons a certain memory rocked your mind.

(Flashback)
"Oni-Chan what are you doing?" A small girl came up behind you snow crunching beneath her feet. "Just making a new breathing style. But I'm having trouble with naming it and getting the moves down." You sighed. Making a new breathing style wasn't easy. Especially when you had no idea what to call it. "I know!" The little girl said. "Call it Dragon Breathing!" You love dragons and talk about wanting to fly Oni-Chan!"  She looked excited. You nodded and got into position, while the younger girl stepped back. You took a deep breath and exhaled. [Dragon Breathing First Form: Dragon Scales] Instead of attacking a invisible force threw you back and you hit a tree, blacking out. The last thing you heard was your sisters voice. "ONI-CHAN!" She screamed. When you awoke you find that you lost the ability to speak. That night you went for a walk yo clear your head. When you came home, there was blood all over the walls and on the ground. You dashed inside. What you saw shattered your heart. Your father, dead. Your sister, dead. Your mother, dead. You vowed to train using Dragon Breathing to hunt down the monster that killed your family.
(Flashback over)

You quickly sliced the demons head off as it disintegrated. "Nice job Y/n-San!" Kanae's voice sounded behind you. You nodded, suddenly the ground started shaking and a massive 3 headed demon came out of the trees. "HAHA LOOK AT THIS! A MEAL? FOR ME? HAHA ILL KILL YOU ALL!" The demons voice boomed. Kanae dashed towards the demon but the demon slammed her into a tree. "KANAE!!!" Shinobu shouted. "I'll eat her later. I'll kill your two first." The demons eyes and your eyes met. "Ohoho so your challenging me? Come at me!!" The demon yelled. I HAVE to use Dragon Breathing! You thought as you got into position. Dragon Breathing First Form: Dragon Scales] You teleported infront of the demon and cut hundreds of cut in the shape of dragon scales. It worked! I did it! You thought. Then the demons hand grabbed you and brought you up to it's mouth. You sliced its arm off as he screamed in pain. [Dragon Breathing First Form: Dragon Scales] Again you teleported to the demon and cut him hundreds of times in the shape of dragon scales. But this time you aimed for his head. As you landed on the ground you fell to your knees. You heard the demons voice behind you. "WHAT?!? HOW CAN A PUNK LIKE YOU KILL ME!?! A FUCKING DEMON!?!" He yelled angrily, as he disintegrated. "Y/N!" You heard Kanae's voice as she ran towards you. You looked up at her. She was bloodied and bruised but other than that looked fine. You on the other hand, were not. You fell to the ground. Shit shit shit! Use total concentration breathing to slow the breathing! You tried to breathe but your lungs wouldn't let you take more than a gasp of air at a time. Kanae lifted you up and sling your arm around her shoulder as she carried you while Shinobu watched for demons. The last thing you remember was Kanae's voice before blacking out.

Where am I? You looked around it was all black. So dark you couldn't see your hands. "Oni-Chan!" You looked behind you and burst into tears. "Star-San!" You ran towards her and wrapped your arms around her crying. "Oni-Chan...you have to wake up..." your little sister said sadly. "What?" You echoed. "Oni-Chan wake up." She said again before everything went black. Your eyes opened slowly sun shining and blinding you for a little bit. Your eyes adjusted and you looked around. You were in a bed, with white sheets, a cord on your arm covered in bandages. The final selection! You tried to move but failed. You laid there for a minute or two when the door opened. "I'm going to check on Y/n-San!" Kanae yelled as she walked in. She looked at you teary eyed. "Y/n-San! Your awake!" She dashed over to your side. You looked around looking for your notebook. "Here." Kanae said handing you your notebook and a pencil. You took it from her and opened to a blank page, you handwriting a bit sloppier than normal. Where am I? You wrote slowly. "Your in the infirmary. We told master Ubishiki what happened." She explained. "Also we all passed!" She said smiling. "We are demon slayers now!"

A/n: it was a lot for a first chapter...
Words: 1173