Chapter 4. Doctors orders part 1

Over the next few days you continued to train and practice Dragon Breathing's second form. As you were walking back to you room after an hour of training a unfamiliar voice sounded behind you. "Are you Y/n-San?" You turned around and saw a shortish girl with a white undershirt and blue over shirt. She had blue-purplish hair and a butterfly hairpin in her hair. You nodded to the question. "I'm Aoi!" She said walking up to you. "Kanae-San hired me as a doctor for demon slayers!" She said enthusiastically. You nodded in response then turned and walked down the hall. You opened the door and walked in closing it behind you, sighing. You then looked through your bag looking for something. Haven't gotten any drawings done since the final selection. You thought taking out a plain black notebook. You looked through the pages catching quick glances at your previous work. Very neatly made drawings decorated the pages. Pictures of dragons, night skys and sunsets littered each page. You stopped at an open page and put it on your desk. You pulled out the chair sitting in it and scooting forward. You pondered for a minute of what to draw. And decided on drawing Kanae. You make light lines along the paper over and remover making circles for the eyes and to start on the body. Time passed before you knew it you looked outside and it was dark. You looked back down at your paper. It was a extremely detailed and well drawn picture of Kanae. You then heard a knock on the door. You got up and opened it. "You realize it's time for dinner right?" Shinobu asked as she crossed her arms. She then noticed the notebook on your desk and saw a detailed and well drawn picture of her older sister. She smiled. "So...you like Kanae?" She asked pointing to the notebook. You turned and quickly closed the book. Then wrote in your dragon notebook. It was just a sloppy copy. Shinobu looked shocked. "That was just a sloppy copy?!?" She asked in disbelief. You nodded as you opened it back up to a page with a little girl on a rock that looked like it had been taken from reality and put in a book like a memory. "Wow! That's your work?" She asked looking at it. You nodded and wrote in your dragon notebook. It's of my sister. She spent so long sitting for me. She knew I loved my drawings and she wanted to help me. A single tear rolled down your face remembering your sisters smile and sound of her laughing. You closed the book and picked it up, then you picked up your dragon notebook and walked down the hall with Shinobu after closing the door behind you.

You sat on the pillow on the ground taking bites of your ramen and taking sips of your water. Shinobu and Kanae were talking about something as you finished. You put down the bowl and picked up your plain black notebook and opened it. You flipped to a drawing that you wanted to touch up. You found one of your dragon drawings the page after the one of your sister and started making light lines. "Oh? What's that?" Kanae asked. "That's his secret notebook." Shinobu teased. You just shook your head. You set the notebook down revealing the unfinished dragon and the drawing of your sister. "Is that done?" Kanae asked as she pointed to the dragon. You shook your head. You opened your dragon notebook and wrote in it. No not even close. When it's done it will look as good as this. You tapped the drawing of your sister. "Wow!" Kanae praised your drawings. "We should look though them sometime!" She said smiling. You hesitated. You didn't like people looking at your work. Shinobu seemed to notice this. "You probably have some drawings that you want to keep to yourself huh?" Shinobu questioned. You nodded. I don't want Kanae seeing that drawing of her...or...any others of the demon that killed my family...Kanae would try and find it and kill them. You thought. "Ah! I understand!" Kanae said smiling as you closed the book. Everyone started to pick up their dishes and head to bed. After putting your dishes away you headed to your bedroom rubbing your eyes as you opened your door, closing it behind you. You took off your Haori and katana on their respective stands. You flopped onto your bed and rested both of your notebooks on the table. As you drifted asleep.

You awoke next morning to a terrible feeling in your stomach and a splitting headache. You tied to get out of bed but failed. After laying there for a bit there was a knock on the door. "Y/n-San! Are you ok? You didn't show up for breakfast!" You summoned all your strength to get up and walk to the door opening it. Kanae looked petrified. "AAAHH Y/N-SAN YOU LOOK TERRIBLE!" She cried. You then slumped down on the door frame leaning against it on the floor before falling asleep.

Kanae's POV
Kanae watched as Y/n slumped to the floor falling asleep. "Oh dear...what are you sick with?" She asked before picking you up and setting you back in bed. Kanae then took notice of your notebooks. It would be rude to pry...but I'm to curious! She thought as she reached to your dragon notebook and went through pages. One set of pages caught her eye. She read it and felt sick to her stomach. I promise I have never stolen anything from this store! One line read. She read the next. Wait! I promise I can prove. The writing was cut off and at the bottom of the page was a small pool of blood. Kanae was on the verge of bursting into tears. She closed the book and set it back where it was. Then she exited the room looking for Aoi. "Aoi!" Kanae called walking to her room. Kanae knocked on the door and a female voiced answered. "Come in!" You opened the door to see Aoi doing her hair in the mirror brushing it and putting her hairpin in. "What is it Miss Kocho?" She asked a bit confused. "Y/n is very unwell I was wondering if you could see what's wrong." Kanae said adjusting her own hairpin. "Oh? That's unfortunate. But yes I can see what's going on." She said smiling. Kanae hesitated for a minute. "Is there something else Miss Kocho?" Aoi asked her. Kanae nodded. "Could you...also check Y/n's vocal cords?" Aoi looked confused. "Is something wrong with his throat?" She asked. "No no I'm just curious about his voice. I wanted to know if it could be fixed." Kanae answered. "Oh well I could see what I can do." Aoi replied. "Thank you Aoi-San!" Kanae bowed. "Let me take you to him~." Kanae smiled. Kanae led Aoi to Y/n's room where he was in the same position you left him in. "Oh my!" Aoi stated looking at Y/n's extremely pale body. "We might need an X-Ray for his vocal cords." Aoi said taking off Y/n shirt and listening to his heart. She didn't expect to see a very strong looking body with a six pack however so it caught her a little of guard. She shook away her thoughts as she focus on his breathing and heart rate. "He seems to not have enough iron in his body. However with sleep a good meal and enough water he should be ok in a few days." She conducted her report. "So you want to check his vocal cords?" She asked as Kanae nodded. And felt Y/n's neck. "Huh?" She said aloud. "What is it?" Kanae asked. "Y/n vocal cords....are..vibrating..." she said in disbelief. "What does that mean?" Kanae queried. "It means his vocal cords are broke and hitting against his throat." She answered standing up and looking at Kanae.

"It also means...there is a very small chance we could fix them."

A/n: sneaky little pov change
Words: 1376