Chapter 21. With curses comes loss

You looked around in confused by your surroundings. "What? Where am I?" You asked. The environment around you wasn't normal. It was a long dark corridor with only a few flickering lights. You cautiously walked down the hall and carefully opened the first door. Your eyes widened in surprise as you saw the same thing you saw when you came back from the walk the day you lost your voice. The rooms walls and floor were covered in blood. And your mother and father and sister were on the ground dead. You quickly closed the door. What was that?! Was that some sick joke?! You thought angrily. You went over to the next door and opened it. In this door you saw a younger version of yourself sitting with Star at a table eating rice balls. "This seems normal...I think." You said to yourself as you watched the scene in front of you. You couldn't hear the voices, as they were muffled but you stood there for a few seconds more before closing the door and moving onto the next door. You opened it and in front of you was Kanae and Shinobu. "E-eh?!" You realized that you were at the final selection. Kanae said something but it was muffled n's then sat down next to you. You quickly closed the door and slumped against the door. "Why am I being show this? Are these just some stupid joke?! No...it's something more..." You thought as you slowly stood up. Then it hit you. "These....these are memories...but...why?" Suddenly the floor underneath you disappeared and you plummeted into the darkness.

Your eyes flashed open and you quickly sat up immediately feeling a sharp pain in your chest. Hoshi hissed in alarm waking up Tanjiro who sat sleeping in the chair next to you. "Huh? Y/n-San!" Tanjiro cried hugging you. "Ow watch the chest!" You said and Tanjiro let go. "Oh s-sorry..." He said laughing nervously. "Please eat this. Please you need food very badly." Tanjiro said handing you a plate with Riceballs, Sushi and Tofu. You looked out the window and saw it was raining. You closed your eyes for a few seconds praying and then opened them again and began eating but after a bit stopped. "Rengoku....he's..." Tanjiro looked at you with tears in his eyes and nodded. You looked down at the plate and nodded continuing to eat. The door opened and Aoi rushed in with two plates of food. "Alright eat! All of it! Now!" She demanded. "Eh? Why?" You asked. "Cause you haven't eaten in so long I'm surprised your still alive!" She said setting the two plates of riceballs on the table next to you. "Also! No more missions for 3 months!" She said sternly. "Wha- Hey no fair!" Aoi raised an eyebrow. "You have broken bones, internal bleeding, your malnourished and-." "Ok! I get it!" You interrupted her. She paused a had a look of sadness on her face. "I'm glad your alive." She said. Do I really deserve to live? "How long?" You asked looking at her. She bit her lip nervously. "A long time...a few months...it's been 12 months of you fighting and being hurt...and tomorrow is your birthday so...that's another reason I'm not letting you go on missions..." You looked down at your plate. "Please....don't do it again." Aoi looked at you confused. "What?" She asked. "Don't...give me anything on my birthday..." Tanjiro's eyes widened. "Please! Don't be like Senjuro! When Rengoku died he said he would stop celebrating his birthday! Please don't-." You clenched your fists. "It's not Rengoku! I miss him...but...that's not the reason..." Silence fell over the room and Aoi left but came back a few minutes later. "Uhm...Y/n? Someone's here to see you.." Tanjiro left the room and Tengen came in and sat down next to you. Neither of you spoke. "I...I don't want you going on missions anymore." Tengen said breaking the silence. "You don't get to say what I can or can't do." He nodded. "I know...but...I don't want to lose you..." Hoshi hissed quietly at his statement. "I understand I can't control you...but I wanted to make it known that I care." He said before standing up and leaving.

The next few hours you would rest in bed all day while looking out the window. You saw Tanjiro and Kanao outside training. You couldn't help but smile. One day...she'll have to leave me behind...and be happy... You thought to yourself. Hoshi had gone somewhere a while ago and had just now slithered in the room with something shiny in his mouth. He slithered up onto the bed and set it down. You realized it was the necklace that Kanae had made. "Hoshi...where..." Hoshi hissed and you picked it up putting it around your neck. The cold metal tickled your neck making you shiver. "When...when can I join you?" You said quietly. Tomorrow...will be terrible...and I know that for a fact. You thought. Then Aoi walked in. "Ok so your legs aren't broken it's just your upper half that has injuries. And we need to do something to get your body moving so we're going to see if you can stand." You nodded and Aoi helped you out of bed and to your surprise you could actually stand. Aoi gave you a cane which you felt was a little unnecessary but took it anyway.

You walked out of the room and went down the hall of the butterfly mansion. You paused the memories of Kanae, Shinobu, Aoi, Kanao, Naho, Kiyo, and Sumi all together in the mansion but now seemed quiet and empty. Kanae's laughter no longer echoed through the halls, now it was replaced with only Shinobu and the triplets laughs. The triplets young and having fun playing while Shinobu's laugh sounded fake and sad. You shook the thoughts away and went to your room. You opened the door to see it was exactly how it was when you left. But this time a bag was on your bed. You went over to it after closing the door and opened it. Inside was all the things that you had brought with you on the train. You picked the bag up and set it on your desk and laid in bed. However a sudden realization hit you like a brick wall.

That curse...that that snake demon said something about...the curse...it was...the next Hashira who went on a mission with me...would die...

A/n: ok plz don't come after me for not updating for a while I've been dealing with personal problems that made me lose the desire to write so I'll try to make the next chapter fairly quickly!
Words:1149