Chapter 9

Ava POV:

Last year of high school

I can't believe this is our last year of high school, and I have yet to find my mate. I haven't even been dating or looking at other boys or girls.

It's so bad to the point I haven't even had my first kiss yet because I wanted to save it for my mate, but my mom keeps telling me that sometimes it takes a while to find your mate and I hope it won't take as long as it did for her.

I even once had my mom set up a few groups of people so I could see if any of them was my mate and again I was not lucky.

Everyone keeps asking why I am going through all this trouble to find my mate and not let them come to me, and again I tell them because family is important to me, and I want as much time as I can with them.

I don't want to go through what my mom did. I don't think I'll be able to handle it.

On the brighter side, I got Val to finally ask her crush out on a date and they have been together for over a year now.

She didn't think her crush would feel the same about her, but little did she know they both were too shy to speak to one another. Ever since that day, they have both been nothing but smiles. Her girlfriend Mia also comes over to the castle because Val doesn't want her parents to meet her yet.

Well, more like she doesn't want her father to meet Mia. As I always said, something is not right with that man, and I was going to find out.

There is no way in hell that I and Val have been best friends this long, and I or my mom hasn't met hers yet.

I always told myself, that I'll never push her to where she closes herself off to me, but it's been too long, and I need answers.

Therefore, I am standing in front of my room door making sure she can't leave without answering my questions.

"Val, I'm not given in this time. I need to know what's going on."

"Ava, I can't tell you. The more people know the worse it will get for her."

"What do you mean the worse it will get for her?"

She looked at me with tears in her eyes, and I knew this was becoming a lot for her, but I couldn't take it anymore.

"The only way for me to tell you the truth about what's going on is for me to find a way to remove my mom from that house."

Without another thought, I left the room and ran to my mom's office. I know she was in a meeting, but this was more important.

"I'm sorry Mom, but this is important."

She nodded her head and ended her meeting video call.

"What's wrong?"

"It's Val's mom, I think she's in trouble and has been for a long time."

She stopped me before I could finish asking her for help.

"Is this what Val is telling you? Is she asking for help?"

I knew once I told her what I had done she was going to be upset with me.

"I don't think I should tell you."

The glare in her eyes told me that I had a few seconds to tell her before she got up from her seat.

"Okay Mommy, I may have forced her to tell me, but I couldn't stand it anymore. We have been friends for too long and neither of us has met her mom and I think it's about time that we do...and that's when she told me that it wasn't safe for her mom if she told me anything."