And then i can't help it

Pov Simon
It's been almost a year since the speech and I've seen Wilhelm twice since then. Once the next day and then already on his official farewell from school. His parents didn't want him that close to me anymore, so he had to go to another boarding school that wasn't even in Sweden. They have reduced our contact to writing and phoning each other.

Wille said they had hopes that he would realize he didn't need me, which is absolute bullshit. He's messaging to me every free minute and we talk on the phone several times a day and, funnily enough, it hasn't gotten any less, it's getting more.

Wille is getting worse and worse, mentally. This pressure is killing him and it didn't get any better in the new school. I don't know how many times he's called me in tears, like,
"Today is such a shitty day"
or
"My mom gave me another lecture about why I shouldn't be into boys"
and sometimes it is also
"The people here are such asocial, homophobic assholes"
and it breaks my heart every time, simply because I can't help him, although I would like to.

It's Monday and I'm packing the last books for school. "Simon?" I turn around. Mom is behind me. "Yes?" she gives me my phone. "Wilhelm has been texting you for the last five minutes" "Okay" I say slowly. "Thank you" "No problem" she turns around again.

"Oh and please remember that you have to leave in 10 minutes at most, yes?" I nod and look at my phone. 20 unread messages, that must be something really important. I open the chat.

(I was too lazy to add emojis to the messages, so just think of them😂)

- Simon
- I have news
- Simon?
- Darling?
- Boy
- Pick up your fucking phone
- Hello?
- Simoooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnn
- I'll bet my watch that you left your phone behind after breakfast
- And if you're reading this, I sure got on your mother's nerves so much that she brought your phone to you
- While you packed your school things
- I would call you if I could, but I'm at school right now
- S
- I
- M
- O
- N
- I want to tell you this today
- So kindly write back
- Instructions from the Crown Prince

I grin.

~ You get to keep your watch

- I knew it!!!!!

~ What was it that you wanted to tell me that was so important?

- Wait a minute

That's exactly what I do. I sit on my bed and wait for a new message. Instead, my phone rings because he calls. "Wille, hey" I smile at the camera. "Hi" he waves. "So?" I look at him questioningly. "So" he just says that and then stops again.

"Say now!" I look at him slightly reproachfully. "My class and another one from our year are leaving next week to..." he pauses, grinning. "Now don't make it so exciting" I let myself fall sideways onto my bed.

"We're coming to Sweden" he says quickly. "What?" I can't say more right now. "Bjärstad to be exact" "What do you want here?"

"Visit Hillerska. There's some kind of exchange program with Hillerska, to be honest I've always skipped these classes because I didn't want to be reminded too much. In any case, the school management officially confirmed last night that we're doing it I just wanted to tell you today because I know you wouldn't have gotten any sleep if you had heard it before you went to bed" I listen to him carefully.

"That means..." I say slowly. Wille interrupts me with the words "Yes, we will be able to hug and kiss again next Monday". "Wow" I can't help it, I just have to. "Simon, are you crying?" Wille holds his phone closer to his face.

"Yes, but only because I'm so happy" I say, my voice slightly teary. "That's really cute, you know that?" he grins, the next moment he's looking away from the camera. I hear a voice saying something, but I don't understand anything because it's too quiet. He nods and then turns back to his phone and thus to me.