In The Book

The protagonist opened a door with a key only he possessed

There stands Ranpo, in front of a dead body, a knife in the corpse's chest, and blood everywhere around it.

And what he found there was a victim.

"The windows were sealed, making it impossible for anyone to have entered or left in such a manner. Two doors and a matching key," Ranpo states the obvious facts, opening his palm where the key sits.

Suddenly he lets out a gasp, his green eyes widening when he realizes the situation he's in.

He starts frantically searching around his clothes to find something, muttering 'oh no's' at the same time.

"My glasses are gone," he finally says as other people start gathering behind him, blocking the doorway.

"Is he really dead?" some random man asks, wearing only a robe as clothing.

"Everybody, stay back! I'm a doctor!" Yosano, the female detective says as she rushes to the man on the floor, who is supposedly dead.

The four others let out a gasp before letting the woman through. She kneels next to the body, speaking to it.

"Sir!" she says and the corpse raises his hand, pointing at a door on his left.

"The door," he grunts out his last words before going completely lifeless.

Yosano and Ranpo both gasp, the male rushing to the door and opening it, only to find a wall behind it with some kind of message.

Welcome to locked room is what it says, an animal head drawn next to it in the same paint.

"Postulated that this was a serial killer," Ranpo says before touching the paint with his finger.

"If we don't track the killer down, the rest of us may soon become victims as well," he states, looking more serious than before.

As the snowstorm continues, Ranpo moves to another room, sitting on the couch, his head over the higher part. It seems he isn't that interested in this mystery.

Someone opens the door and Yosano walks in.

"Poe's ability is a serious pain in the ass," she says, walking closer to her partner.

"The corps, the blood, everything about the crime is disgustingly convincing," the female sits down as well, across from Ranpo.

"On top of that, my healing ability doesn't appear to work here," she sulks a bit.

"The cause of death appears to be hypovolemic shock. I was told he was the mansion's caretaker," the woman sighs.

"No fingerprints on the weapon to speak of either," she finishes giving information.

"It's the quintessential impossible crime. A locked room with no apparent way for anyone to go in or out of it," Ranpo lazily says.

"How was the killer able to leave the room after the murder?" he asks the important question.