The Cafe Break

"Bolded"- English

"Bolded"- English

"Normal"- Japanese

"Can I ask another question?" the man, who introduced himself as Dazai, asks.

"Well, you already asked one question but sure, go ahead," I shrug.

"I don't believe you're from around Yokohama, am I correct?" he still has a smile on his face.

"I'm from America," is the simple answer coming from my lips.

"America? Well, isn't that just a coincidence?" he chuckles but I make an innocent face. Or as innocent as I believe I can make.

"How is that a coincidence?" I ask before the waitress comes back with my order. I thank her and sigh. At least I have my food. I can put up with this man for a bit longer.

"Well, there is this organization called The Guild that came to Yokohama as well. Don't you think it's a bit too similar timing?" he asks, now leaning closer.

"Are you implying that I'm in this weird organization?" I ask, drinking my tea.

"I'm not implying anything. I'm quite sure that it is correct," his smile is now gone.

"Hm, sure. I'm not sure why I'm even playing around. I'm from The Guild. But how do you know about it?" is my new question.

"There is this thing called The Armed Detective Agency. Have you heard of it?" his smirk is back and I nod.

"Yeah. One of your coworkers came to me and my brother. We gave him the papers of Moby Dick. You should have those, no?" I move on to my cake.

"So Ranpo came to you, huh? Well, these were much of help to us. Thank you," Dazai stares at my cake as well.

"By the way, Moby Dick is completely empty. No one from The Guild is on it," I add, taking a bite out of the sweet dessert.

"And why are you telling me this exactly?" he asks a new question.

"Because I agree with my brother. The Guild has some very barbaric ideals and goals. We came to Japan only because Edgar wanted to show Ranpo his book. Well, he failed quite much but at least now it isn't his only goal in life," I shrug as if this was a piece of info anyone could obtain.

"You're interesting, you know that?" he suddenly says.

"How so? I feel like I'm a very normal person. Nothing interesting about me," I don't stop eating.

"Say, you're in The Guild, so what's your ability?" Dazai leans closer again.

"I'm not going to demonstrate it because I'm sure it wouldn't be pleasant," I start. "But I can try to explain it."

"Please do. I'm interested now," he rests his chin on his hands.

"Well, my ability is called Darkness in Night. It gives people nightmares for 4 minutes if I'm in physical contact with them," I give him a brief explanation.