Back In Reality

"Bolded"- English

"Bolded"- English

"Normal"- Japanese

My brother is now laughing like a maniac. I'm worried about him. He hasn't acted like this before.

"That's one enemy down!" he exclaims after his laughter.

"Dear brother, calm yourself down," I try to talk sense into him.

"Unless you solve my mystery, you will spend the rest of eternity wandering aimlessly through the hellscape that I've created!" he keeps on talking and laughing, even Karl has come to me and is now on my shoulders.

As Edgar continues laughing, his book suddenly lights up and the two detectives emerge from the light.

That thankfully shuts my brother up but Karl was so surprised that his claws stabbed into my shoulders and I let out a small scream.

"Missed us?" Ranpo asks as they both gracefully land on their feet.

"What?! Impossible! You couldn't have solved the mystery!" Edgar steps back, switching his language to Japanese with ease.

"I'll admit! It was quite an impressive piece of work! You just made one mistake. That was challenging me," the male detective explains.

"You- You actually figured out who the killer was?!" my brother can't believe it.

"Of course," Ranpo says before explaining.

"The murderer... Was me," he simply states, making Ed's eyes widen.

"The locked room had nothing to do with it. The protagonist killed the victim, and the author deliberately omitted that part of the narration. 

The truly genius element was how you managed to conceal any evidence of the killer's presence once I entered the scene.

No matter how thoroughly I searched it seemed like the murderer never even existed," Ranpo gives a brief explanation.

"How did you figure it all out then?" Edgar asks.

"You went too far with the murder in the locked room theme. It'd be one thing if you singled someone out. The murderer had no motive to create such a puzzle.

That's when I figured it out. The killer and the author were in cahoots.

The proof of that was in the glove used for the murder that was hidden behind the door under the brick wall.

The caretaker pointed to the wall just before he died," Ranpo talks on.

"That may account for the first of the killings! But you couldn't have found anything that pointed toward the second!" my brother is still stubborn.

He should know that the only way to escape his power is to solve the mystery.

"The answer to that was quite simple actually. You made use of the special automated contraption.