NO.5

"What's this? Is your power to make others laugh?" Minoura asks, laughing, as Ranpo's finger is pointed at his coworker. "Officer Sugimoto is part of my team!" His laughing doesn't faze my own coworker though.

"Yes... And Officer Sugimoto killed her," Ranpo says and the old man wants to get on his throat. "Don't be absurd! Why would the killer just happen to be here...?" he's cut off by the black-haired male.

"Killers always return to the crime scene," Ranpo says and I can agree with this but there is something that is still bugging me. "Well, even if he is the killer, why would he kill his girlfriend?"

I ask quietly, so only Ranpo hears me. "You'll find out soon, don't worry," the male chuckles and I nod. I really want to know what's going on and my brain just doesn't function like the man's.

"And did I not say it earlier? 'I'll know where the evidence is'... no?" Ranpo says and turns back to the murder suspect. "Show me your handgun," he commands and the man is taken back.

"A-are you mad? If I handed my service revolver over to a private citizen I'd take a pay cut or worse!" Sugimoto panics and this is obviously because the gun is part of the murder. Otherwise, he would have given it to the detective.

"Exactly... This is a complete waste of time. You, detectives, are nothing more than loudmouths," Minouchi says.

"You son of a bitch! How dare you say something like that to my coworkers!? If you think you're so smart, then why haven't you already solved the mystery!?" I yell at the guy, ready to kick him but Dazai is holding me back.

"Y/n-chan, that's not a really mature thing to do, is it?" he asks and I shake my head. "I don't really give a damn. This guy is pissing me off and he deserves a strong punch in the face!" I argue back and the police guy takes a few steps back.

"What the hell is this?" he asks, looking behind us. I turn my head only to see things and people flying around.

"You need to calm down. You're too angry. I don't want to use my power on you" Dazai whispers and lets go of me, so I fall to the ground.

"Bitch," I mutter under my breath as I stand up again and walk further away from the people, looking at the river. I had no idea that my emotions could be somehow connected to how my ability acts. I guess I really should calm down, otherwise, someone is going to die because of me.

It's been about 20 seconds when I suddenly hear a gunshot and my head perks up, looking back to the police and my coworkers, only to see Atsushi sitting on top of the prime suspect.

Rushing there the man is struggling. "Let go of me! I have nothing to do with this!" Sugimoto yells but Ranpo isn't buying it. He bends down at the man's level and starts explaining everything.

"There's no getting away now. You killed her early yesterday morning at the abandoned shipyard 140 meters upstream," the black-haired man smirks which makes the police officer panic.

"Wha-? How did you...!?" he shouts and Ranpo stands up again. "And once your men head over there, they should find both your footprints and the victim's along with some blood you missed during the cleanup," Ranpo says and the man on the ground looks really depressed.

"Why...? No one should have known..." he mutters. The government detective bends down and takes hold of his subordinate's shoulders before cuffing his hands.

"Let's continue this at the office... Or your former office, as the case may be," he says and they walk toward one of the police cars.

"Y/n-san, come on inside the room with me. Others can wait outside," Ranpo says, pulling me with him when we arrive at the police station. "Do I even get a say in this?" I ask and he shakes his head.