Three: The Mistletoe is still there.

Trigger Warnings: swearing, slight homophobia.

2152 words.

Charlie:

Christmas. Everyone seems to love Christmas, but me? I don't really enjoy it. I always see people with their partner and it just makes me so sad to know that I will never have something like that, being gay means that you are destined to be alone. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being gay but when you are at a all boys school: being gay is looked down upon, you get straight boys, more straight boys and even more straight boys. I don't think I will ever find love in my high school years, I mean come on, I'm in Year 10: I have three more years, I doubt I will find a boy that is into boys in that time. I accepted it a long time ago, that won't be ticked off my bucket list, before I started secondary school I made a bucket list for all the things I want to happen in the seven years I will be here and finding love was one of them. Anyway, moving onto a slightly less depressing subject, it is four weeks until we break up for the Christmas holidays and my form has set up this game sort of thing. Mr Lange has stuck a mistletoe to the ceiling above each desk (the students that have set up this game got him to help) and if your mistletoe is still there when it is our form party on the last day of term, you have to kiss the person next to you. If your mistletoe is not there by then, you have to go through a 'punishment' of 20 push ups, however if you are caught taking it down earlier on you have to do 20 push ups then and there and also at the end of term (both of the boys that are sitting on that desk if I haven't made things clear). Nick Nelson, the boy I sit next to, is really good looking and before you ask, no I do not have a crush on him. What I have learnt over the time of being out is that if I call a boy 'good looking' I need to then specify if I have a crush on them or not because everyone but my friends will assume I have a crush.

"So, how is this mistletoe thing going Charlie?" My friend, Aled Last, asks taking me out of my daze.

"Huh? Oh yeah. Um, yeah it's going good? Not many people have actually been caught taking their mistletoe down, although looking around about two have gone missing."

"Do you think Nick will take down yours?" Tao Xu, my other friend, asks.

"I don't know, but I really hope he doesn't, I mean have you seen my arms? I can't even do a single push up so, if he does, I don't know how I will manage TWENTY!"

Tao and Aled giggle a bit. I mean it is perfectly true, I have literal sticks for arms and I haven't done push ups for years but when I last did them, I failed greatly.

"Oi, Nick! Pass the ball, mate." I hear in the distance, I stop obsessing about how puny my arms are and look up in the direction the voice came from.

In my direct vision, I see Nick with a rugby ball. God, he's so perfect. I then look at his arms, they are pure muscle, if he does take down the mistletoe he could probably do twenty push ups with one arm, then switch and do the same on the other side. But, he just looks so perfect, his baby face, his freckles, height, weight, the shit tone of muscle he has got, his hair, his hair colour, his nose, his lips, his big brown eyes, his hands, his uniform, the way he wears his uniform, it's all just perfect. He passes the rugby ball to his mate and then opens his hands for him to throw it back and they cycle repeats a few times. Then the worst thing happens, he looks in my direction and catches me staring, he plays it off cool, waves and waggles his eyebrows in a 'I know I'm so hot.' sort of way, knowing him he is doing it in a jokey way, not a homophobic way. I wave back and delve back into the conversation with my friends, or at least I was going to, but I find them staring at me, Tao with one eyebrow raised and Aled silently giggling.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"You were staring at Mr. Golden Retriever again." Tao states.

"What? No I wasn't! He's not a golden retriever, he's a human Tao."