Ten: Smiles.

Trigger Warnings: swearing, slight homophobia, slurs

1724 Words.

Nick:

It's Monday 19th April 2021 and two days ago I kissed Charlie. We decided to make it unofficially official yesterday. I need some time to figure myself out: I'm not straight but I'm not gay. There are so many options of what I could be and when I say so many, I mean three. Pansexual, bisexual or omnisexual. They're the only ones I'm aware of right now but there's probably so many more. Anyway, this isn't a sob story of my confusion, oh no, it's a story of Charlie. He's so perfect, his hair, his eyes, his dimples, his height, his everything.

"Nicky!" There's a call from downstairs, "You need to get out if bed or you'll be late!"

Ah right, school. I get to see Charlie again! I'm so excited but so nervous. Will it be awkward when I see him? Probably. I mean we kissed, twice, then I ran off. Then we kissed again, then I went but Charlie ran in the rain and kissed me. He hates the rain. I go downstairs for breakfast, I have my usual porridge with sliced strawberries and raspberries on the top. I have the biggest grin on my face and I'm aware of it. I get to see Charlie again! What if we kiss again? I might have to take gum to school then.

"Nicky, are you all right baby?" Mum inquires, breaking me out if my haze.

"Huh? Oh yeah, just thinking about something."

Mum nods her head and sits at the table sipping her coffee. I never understand how people like coffee, I mean come on, tea is amazing. I get back to making my breakfast and nearly inhale it. Mum told me to slow down in many occasions but I said I couldn't because I had to have a shower this morning. I forgot to have one over the week end, okay that may not be true. I had a very long, hot shower yesterday but I forgot to wash it and it's greasy as fuck today. I don't want Charlie to see my hair greasy! I head upstairs and jump in the shower, it's only about ten minutes, I shampoo and condition my hair, then I use this new bodywash I got and it actually smells pretty decent. I wonder if Charlie will notice. I get out the shower and dry my body. I quickly get dressed and brush my teeth. Just as I think I'm ready to go I remember that I've forgotten to blow dry my hair. Fuck. I give it a quick blow dry, get my coat and shoes on, pop to the toilet, pack my bag and get in the car. Mum was all ready waiting. She asks if I'm okay because I've been so out of it this morning. I just say it's because I didn't sleep well last night. It's the biggest lie I've told all day and it's only ten last eight in the morning. I was dreaming about Charlie all night. I wonder what time Charlie will get to school.

I arrive a bit early and normally I would sit with my rugby mates but after Saturday, I don't think I want to. I go to my locker to get my books for my first and second lesson. It's geography and english. I go straight to form form there and see that Charlie's seat is still empty. I sit down and get my planner and pencil case out. I then look over to right and completely zone out until I hear a chair move. Charlie's here! I look to his seat and it was another student on a different table. Charlie's not here!

A few minutes pass of me not so patiently waiting and finally he shows up. As soon as I see him my face lights up. I break out into the biggest smile and so does he.

"Hi" he says awkwardly as he sits down.

"Hi" I say, matching his awkwardness.

We sit in awkward silence for a bit before Charlie breaks it and asks how I slept. Aww, my heart might explode. He Cates about how I slept. I then ask if he wants to eat lunch together and he says that he normally eats in A9, which was Mr Ajayi's room and I said that I would meet him there.

The day goes by so slowly, I keep seeing Charlie in the corridor and everytime I see him I akwardly smile and him and he exchanges the same smile. It's now lunchtime and I've seen Charlie about seven times in the corridor. Seven! I've never seen him that much before in a day. Is he, like, trying to make an effort to see me more or am I subconsciously doing it it is it just a coincidence. I make my way to A9 thinking about him. I wonder what he has for lunch, does he have school dinners or a packed lunch? I walk into the classroom and I'm greeted by who I am guessing is Mr Ajayi. I never had him for art, I don't do art GCSE and he only started working here when I was in year nine. He stares me down and gives me the full on evils. Is this the treatment that Charlie gets? If it is I don't know what he is doing hanging around here.

"I'm guessing you're the friend that Charlie said he was meeting for lunch?" He asks monotone.

"Uh, yes. I'm Nick, Nicholas Nelson."

He nods his head and leaves the classroom. I take a seat and set up my lunch and waterbottle. I wonder how long Charlie will get here in. I hear Mr Ajayi talking to someone outside and I think the little nervous voice belongs to Charlie. Yep, he walks in the room and awkwardly smiles at me again.

"Hey." He breaths out a bit less awkward.

"Hey," I say a bit more confident but still awkward, "I missed you."

And when did I give those three words permission to leave my mouth. Yes I was thinking them, no I don't really want to announce them.

"You're saw me in form, like, four hours ago."

Personally I think that's four hours too long ago. It's like he's the sun and I have a vitamin D deficiency. He won't know that for a while though. We start our conversation off awkwardly but it steadily gets more confident as time goes on. I notice that Charlie eats quite slow and not very much. He has a quarter of a sandwich and an orange. He might just be picky. He drinks a lot of his water through. The bell goes and I dramatically pout.

"What?" He inquires a bit confused.

"I have to wait soo long to see you again now."

"You know we have form right now, right?"

My pout turns into a grin. I forgot I had form. I get to stare at Charlie for another twenty minutes. I get to listen to him speak and be engulfed by his amazing scent. I haven't kissed Charlie all day today. I really, really want to kiss him. We have one more period then home. I have maths last and that will take ages to pass.

"Hey, do you want to come round my house tonight?" I ask.

"Y-y-yeah, are, are you sure?"

"Would I be asking if I wasn't?"

"Good point." He says in the verge of giggles.

I snort a laugh which makes him laugh too. We talk til the end of form, he sneaks his phone out to tell his Dad that he's coming over to mine and I text my Mum to ask if it's alright. They both give us the okay and now I definitely can't wait for the end of the day. The bell for end of form goes and we both have to depart, which is the worst feeling in the world.ast period we are literally on opposite ends of the school. He's got Spanish last.

Maths drags and drags. Who knew fifty minutes could go so slow? The bell for end of period five goes and I practically run out of that room, down the stairs and towards the gate where we agreed to meet. Unfortunately, I got a comment from Harry.

"Alright Nelson, which girl got you so happy?"

"It's not a girl that got me happy today."

"Oh, it's that faggy little gay nerd, innit?"

"It's none of your business mate, and his name's Charlie, not what you just called him."

Unfortunately for Harry, he got caught calling Charlie a slur and got a half an hour detention for it. Ha! I get to gate and see Charlie is already there. I bend over to try and regain my steady breathing pattern. The things this boy does to me. As I'm hunched over a horn beeps and I look over and see Mum. I lock eyes with Charlie and take his hand. Harry's not here so it's not like he can start anything, meaning nothing will start. Charlie and I get in the back and we stay holding hands. Mum asks us how our days were and we big siws about the same thing, too long. The drive home goes quicker than usual but I can't possibly think why that was. When we get to mine, we take our shoes off and dump them on the shoe rack. We run up to my room and take our bags and coats off. Charlie's about to say something when I push him against a wall and kiss him.

"Sorry," I pull back awkwardly, "Is this okay."

"Uhm, YES!"

I bring him to my bed, lie him down, I like on top of him but don't put all my weight on him and I start making out with him. I wanted this all day.

Author's note:

Thank you to heartstopperfanxoxo for the suggestion. Please tell me if there are any mistakes in here, I'm dyslexic and my spell checks don't always work. You know the drill and it's half past eleven at night and I can't be assed to right it all out lol but I hope you have an amazing day/night and I'll see you in the next one.