you're the greatest thing we've lost ❦ pt2

➳ this is inspired by the song "You're Gonna Go Far" by Noah Kahan!

also, just a quick clarification, in this story you and Matt are just best friends, but it blossoms into something more tehe

---------------------------------------------------------

You stood outside of the triplets' front door, an unfamiliar knot of nausea settling in your throat as you reached your hand up to the handle. You were hesitating. You never hesitate to go inside the triplets' house. Frustrated at yourself for your sudden nervousness, you call yourself a baby under your breath and open the door.

You walk into the living room and drop your keys onto the coffee table, along with your bag. Chris and Nick are lounging on the couch and playing Mario Party on the TV, glancing up at you as you walk in.

"Hey y/n! I missed youuu!" Nick dramatically spoke, his character starting to fall behind in the mini-game. Chris smiled up at you before looking back at the screen, the buttons on his controller being loudly spammed.

You giggled, collapsing into the chair next to the couch. "I was only gone for two days, guys. I just needed some me time." You smiled as you thought to yourself about how clingy all of you were to each other. Clingy. The word made your heart sink as you remembered what you said to Matt on the stairwell. He hated being referred to as clingy, it made him feel insecure. Where was he anyways? He usually was very competitive with his brothers and loved to try to beat them at games.

"Two days was long enough. No more mysteriously disappearing, you creep." Chris talked while keeping his eyes on the game, smirking at his name calling. You rolled your eyes and chuckled.

"Alright, deal. Um, by the way... where's Matt?" You bit your nails as you watched both of the boys' expressions physically cringe at hearing the name.

"Uh.. last time I checked he was in his bedroom being all emo." Nick glanced over at you and bit the inside of his cheek with anticipation, now realizing that you were probably here to confront Matt. He joked about the boy's isolation to try to lighten the mood.

You gave him a sympathetic breathy laugh and stood up, inhaling deeply. You put your hands on your hips. "Alright. I'm going to go apologize and try to talk to him again." You headed for the stairs, wiping the sweat that accumulated on your palms from anxiety on your hoodie along the way.

"Good luck, soldier!" Chris called from the couch as you heard Nick groan when he lost the mini-game.

You walked through the hallway, the pit in your stomach growing as you became closer and closer to his door. You stopped in front of it and bit your bottom lip, listening. Silence emitted from his room, the only sound being his fan blowing air. You took a deep breath and knocked on the door quietly, nervousness soaring through your veins. After a few seconds, nothing happened. You knocked again, this time quieter out of fear of being annoying. Still nothing. You huffed, now worried about him. You dug around in your pocket until you found a spare bobby pin that was previously in your hair. You dug it into the door handle and worked it until you heard that familiar click, then cracked open the door.

His room was dark, the only light coming from his computer on his desk that had been left on. The space was clean for the most part, occasional pieces of trash here and there. Your eyes fell upon his bed, which was piled in unmade blankets and sheets. Under them laid a sleeping boy, his brown hair peeking out from the covers and resting on the pillow in an unruly mess. You curiously checked the time on your phone and read 3:11 PM. Jeez, what time did he go to bed last night?

You tip toed over to his side of the mattress, looking down at him. His face looked soft and his lips were parted slightly, quiet snores falling from them every now and then. His cheeks were tinted a light shade of red, the same color as his lips. Had he been crying? Either way, there was no denying how angelic he looked in this moment despite his unconscious state. You found yourself admiring him silently in the dark, and your eyes widened when you felt butterflies fluttering their way into your stomach. You quickly shooed them away in your mind, focusing back on the situation at hand and ignoring the confusing feelings.