Chapter 14- The First Ambush.

The sea was like a rippling blanket of brochure-blue. Squabbling bird pokemon flew overhead, harassing the beachgoers in their endless hunger. Wingulls were dive-bombing the stretched surface of the sea far out from shore. The horizon was edged with a silver tint and a cormorant was flying into that place where sun and water meet. His wings were a blur of motion and he soon faded from sight.

 The beach they walked on was an enchanting paradise. It was half-moon shaped and there were no heaving waves to be seen, merely wave-grooves in the sand. Coda shaded his eyes from the glowing daystar and looked out to sea again. He could see the Seakings and Goldeens flipping into the air like crackling popcorn. Their bodies flashed in color and he could almost touch their glee. It was a skin-tingling experience to witness their sea-dance.

The briny air carried a different smell also-spicy chicken. His stomach rumbled when he heard it sizzling on the barbecue. He bought a few wings and it was like tasting Greek fire with all the spices and sauces on it. He swore he would come back to this spellbinding place again someday. He looked behind for the last time and already his footprints were fading as if he had never been.

Luke was now looking at the girls on the beach, darting from each and everyone while Coda watched on.

"He's not the smartest one in the world, is he?!" Coda said calmly when he reached the paved road that looked over the beach.

He looked down at Jolteon, who met his eyes and nodded in agreement.

It's ears then twitched, as if catching a sound.

"Hey! What's—"

His words were muffled by a hand over his mouth. Someone else tackled him down from the side. He lashed out, kicking and cursing but no sound could get past the vicious grip across his face.

The man holding him suddenly screamed out in pain and let go of Coda. Coda pulled back and crawled a few spaces away from the men.  He whirled around and stumbled to his feet, Jolteon, who had bitten the man ran up to his side then the two attempted to run around the car only to stop in their tracks when they saw more men with an Arbok and Houndoom at their sides.

Coda spotted their dark clothes and the red R on their chests.

Coda sucked in a deep breath. Patience. Control. He needed to keep it tame.

"Team Rocket?"

"Was it the "R"?" One of the men asked with a laugh.

Coda fought the urge to curse. Of course, they did. He had no doubt they would be here if they hadn't thought out every possible outcome from this conversation. But then again....

The men regarded him patiently. The color of their dark suits was so dark it reminded Coda of midnight. Its design was simpler than that of the Southern country back on Elyon, more in line with the Southern people. It was serviceable, meant for battle rather than to impress. It was also the same color as his father's hair. A man he hadn't given much thought to since the cue that led him to where he was now.

"Let's all stay calm," A new voice cautioned. The words might have been said to the other men, but they were meant for Coda. Incase the flame came out. Wilfride said they knew, he recalled. "I'm sure there's an easy solution to this."

Coda eyed this new man that stepped past the others and their Pokemon. A tall and thin young man. He had bright purple hair that was cut short at the sides with a large curl on top, a short purple beard, purple eyebrows and purple eyes that beamed down at Coda as he approached. "Your Coda, right?"

When Coda didn't respond, he nodded. "I'll take as a yes,"

"What do you want?" Coda asked, seeing the men behind him take a step closer towards him.