chapter 10

Backin the Computer Lab, the Professor, Officer Wembley, Eric, Jessica, and Bill kept waiting for their friends to return, and eventually, the laser started back up and they all returned. 

"I never thought I'd be happy to be home..." Cherry said softly, actually smiling happily for a change.

"You're back!" Eric cheered. "I thought you'd be stuck in the game forever!"

"Like, there's no place like home!" Shaggy praised.

Jessica hugged Atticus tightly, but of course, it would still feel light to him, she then hugged Patch. Thank goodness you guys are safe..." 

"Everyone okay?" Wembley asked.

"I think so." Velma smiled to him. 

"Vell done," Professor Kaufman smiled. "You've saved the vorld from a terrible menace!" 

"But did you find out who created the virus?" Billy asked then.

"We have a pretty good idea." Fred replied.

"Good, because whoever created zhe virus must be punished." Professor Kaufman declared strictly.

"Glad you agree, Professor, because you're as much a suspect as anyone here." Velma said to him.

The Professor was shocked at her accusations and insisted that he couldn't have done it. "I've dedicated my life to my students and my university!"

"But you also stood to make $250,000 at the science fair." Fred smirked as he folded his arms.

"If you also stole the invention." Daphne added.

"Preposterous!" Professor Kaufman refused to be guilty.

"Let's not forget Officer Wembley." Shaggy said as he gestured to the officer as a suspect.

"WHAT!?" Wembley barked at him. "I'm an officer of the law!"

Cherry gave him a look.

"Sorta..." Wembley then said rather weakly. "Anyway, I've never committed a crime in my life!"

"You were the person who was with us when we got sent into the game," Cherry told him strictly. "But once inside the game, we've found some important games." she then informed everyone else. 

"Our first clue came when we were on the moon level," Atticus explained. "The Phantom Virus shouted out: 'Play Ball'!"

"And on the Coliseum level, we found some chalk lines like a large diamond." Fred added.

"But our biggest clue was on the final level when the Phantom Virus appeared in a batting cage." Velma finished.

Jessica was lost and confused about those clues. "I'm lost."

"Me too," Eric agreed with her. "All I'm getting is that the Phantom Virus had a thing for—" he then realized and glared at Bill. "Baseball!"

They all glared at Bill as he was trying to escape.

"Not so fast, kid." Wembley said to the ginger-haired college boy.

Bill tried to escape, he ran off from them and ran behind some shelves. Mystery Inc was at one end while Officer Wembley came the other way. Bill backed up until he tripped behind Scooby and Patch, setting a trap for him. Bill fell over and his game had 'struck out' as if to mock him for his personal game over. Officer Wembley came to take Bill away in handcuffs. 

"Bill, you were my best friend." Eric said to him.

"Und my best student behind Miss Fudo." the Professor added.