Chapter 59

#OLAPlayPretend

Chapter 59
Family

"Our..." Xaiver's lips trembled as they parted. "Our w-what?"

"Our daughter," I replied.

He was in disbelief. Knoa must not have let anything about Cami slip into his cousin's hands. Wala siyang kaalam-alam. He didn't have a clue. Kitang-kita 'yon sa kanyang reaksyon.

"Her name is Camellia..." I told him before he could recover from the news that he already has a daughter.

"Ca..." Xaiver took a deep breath before he continued. "Camellia..."

I nodded and smiled when he whispered her name, like it was something so precious to him. "She's turning two, and she's been wanting to meet you ever since we arrived in the Philippines."

Nanlaki ang mga mata niya. "She knows me..." I'm not sure if that's a question or if he's just amazed that his daughter knows him. "Nasaan siya ngayon? Hindi mo siya kasama?"

"Naiwan siya sa bahay," sagot ko.

"You left her alone?" Medyo tumaas ang boses ni Xaiver nang maalerto.

I was slightly taken aback by his reaction. Doon ko napagtanto kung gaano niya kabilis tinanggap ang lahat. He didn't even doubt one bit of what I said. Kahit ang pagkukumpirma o pagtanong kung totoo ang sinasabi ko ay hindi niya ginawa. He believed me right away.

"Chantal." Pinisil niya ang kamay ko nang hindi agad nasagot ang kanyang tanong. Xaiver looked so frantic and worried, thinking that I had left our daughter on her own. "Nasa bahay lang siya? Sino'ng kasama niya? Is she alone? Did you leave her to a stranger?"

"Syempre, hindi. She's not alone," sabi ko at medyo natawa.

"Why are you laughing?" He frowned. "I'm being serious here, Chantal."

Pinigil ko ang mangiti o matawa. "Seryoso rin naman ako."

"Then why are you laughing? Bakit hindi mo sinasagot ang tanong ko? Sino'ng nagbabantay sa kanya?"

"Sorry. Si—"

"Nevermind. We should go to her right away."

Hindi na ako nakasagot nang pinutol ako ni Xaiver. Humarap ulit siya sa daan upang umayos ng upo. He stepped on the gas and drove back to the main road.

Everything went by in a flash. We safely arrived at home with Xaiver driving the car. Like a miracle, his trauma didn't hinder him from driving at night. His mind was set on taking me home as fast as he could after I told him about his daughter.

Madaling-madali siya sa pagmamaneho kaya nagtataka ako kung bakit bumagal ang paglakad niya papalapit sa pinto hanggang sa tuluyan na siyang huminto. Lumalim at bumagal ang bawat paghinga niya. Bahagya siyang nauna sa akin kaya nang lumapit ako'y doon ko narinig ang tawa ni Cami sa loob ng bahay.

Siguro ay naglalaro sila nina Macy at Wil. I could hear them laughing with her.

Xaiver had completely frozen. He didn't move an inch after hearing his daughter's laugh. His lips were still parted, and his fists were balled while he stared blankly at the door.

"Hands ka na ba?" tanong ko at agad niya akong nilingon. "If you want to prepare yourself—"

"I want..." Huminga siya nang malalim at taas-noo akong tiningnan pabalik. "I want to meet her now. I just... It's just hearing her laugh makes me feel something... something... something real. She's real. I have a daughter. We have a daughter."

After looking anxious and confused, the corner of his lisp rose slightly. It was one of the most genuine smiles I rarely saw from him, and the cause of that smile was none other than our daughter.