⊱𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗⊰

Nari 

The second I stepped in I was met by a warm and cozy atmosphere. Eun-Jae went further into the house and headed off to another room with my bags as I slipped off my shoes and limped in on my crutch. To my right was an open-plan kitchen with a short island table in the middle. There were mainly white, beige, and light brown tones making the place feel spacious and airy. The island table was decorated with two circular ceramic vases, one slightly taller and more oval-shaped than the other. The shorter rounder vase held light coral flowers; the petals had a messy look and reminded me of layered ruffles on a dress as the petals around the edge of the flowers fell open, spreading out. The other vase was filled with white flowers. I think they were lilies but they seemed to be a lot smaller. Either way, they were beautiful. 

The kitchen led into the living room which had a similar mood. The living room had more colors because of the abstract but minimalistic paintings littered on the walls with feature hues of sage green and warm, deep oranges and pinks. On the back wall of the living room, towards the right, sat a white sofa with a fluffy throw blanket and matching pillows. In front of it was a short abstract coffee table where the top was shaped almost like a puddle or as if someone had perfectly spilled a drink. On the table were a few fashion look books. Some of them being Tom Ford, Chanel, and Vivienne Westwood. There were multiple potted plants most of them being tall and extravagant adding shades of forest and emerald green to the room. There was also a white wool rug that had a raised pattern in a different material, it looked like velvet or something. Next to the sofa, there was also a lounge chair and a tall fluted, floor lamp that stood between the sofa and chair. Her house was beautiful and I hadn't even seen the rooms yet.

As I sat down on the lounge chair, admiring the house when Eun-Jae came out into the living room. She sat down on the sofa and pulled one of her knees to her chest.

"Your room is just down that corridor on the left I've put your stuff on the bed so you can sort it out later." She explained, pointing to the corridor she walked out from.

I nodded quietly before looking over to her and she quickly averted my gaze. 

"I just want to say thank you by the way. I know it was pretty last minute to call you and me being here is probably quite an inconvenience so I appreciate you letting me stay here." I thanked her, turning my body towards her and bowing my head.

"It's fine, I understand how you feel and everything, it's not easy getting kicked out and having nowhere to go." She chuckled, resting her head on her knee, and gazing outside through the balcony door. 

"What do you mean?" I asked letting out a soft laugh. "You've been kicked out before?"

"Yeah I have... wasn't a great time in my life."

"Did you ever go back?" I said, turning towards her and waiting for her answer intently.

"...No. It wasn't too bad since I was 17 nearly 18 but you know." She shrugged. "Still hurt."

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you get kicked out?" I asked.

She quickly looked at me, her fleeting gaze scanning my face. She looked down, her brow furrowed as if she was contemplating whether to tell me or not. She sighed, looking up from the ground and staring at the blank television instead. I also looked over to the TV seeing her reflection and her slightly melancholy face on the black television screen. 

"Um, long story short I was kicked out because I wanted to move here from Nigeria. My mother didn't take it well and paired with the fact that I wanted to pursue fashion I guess she thought it would be best for her to kick me out instead of letting me leave on my own accord. I guess she wanted the last laugh or something? Or to seem in control? I don't know. But she did give me some money and told me not to come back. It wasn't enough to travel here so I went to Denmark. Went to an international university, studied fashion, saved my money, and came here." She explained.