⊱𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑⊰

Nari

I sat at the kitchen island, my knee bouncing in nervous anticipation. When was she going to come back? I wondered to myself as I chewed on the inside of my cheek when I noticed a message from Chaesoo:

'She was at my house, I've just dropped her off at the apartment so she'll be in soon. She's had a couple of drinks just to let you know.' 

I sighed inwardly and ran a hand through my hair. I understand I was the one that messed up but this was going to be so much harder if she was drunk. I waited in the kitchen, casting nervous glances towards the door when I heard the sound of the keypad. She entered the house and I could hear her fumbling about and bumping into things as she struggled to take her shoes off at the entryway. I saw her pause once she had taken off her shoes and she glanced around, slowly turning her head towards me. We locked eyes. The air was thick and full of tension, I slowly stood up and she quickly turned on her heel and walked to her bedroom, slamming the door behind her. I sat down again, not being bothered to chase her. What the hell was I going to do?

I stared blankly at the cream kitchen wall, my head on the island top. It felt like days since she left her room until I heard the creak of her bedroom door and I immediately sat up. I got up and walked towards her not knowing how to start. 

"Eun-Jae-" I started but she walked right past me and into the living room. 

I followed after her and she sat down on the lounge chair, I sat on the sofa. I wrung my hands nervously in my lap, my mind void of ways to apologize. 

"I know this is far from enough but I want to begin by saying that I'm sorry," I uttered, my gaze still downcast. "What I did in the design studio was very inappropriate and I have overstepped many boundaries by doing what I did. I also appreciate and am eternally grateful for the fact that you're letting me stay in your house, especially since we are colleagues and have a working relationship. However, if my overstepping means you are no longer comfortable with me living here, I understand." I said, bowing in my seat and muttering the last part, the fear of being kicked out and not having anywhere to go, coursing through my veins.

I glanced over at Eun-Jae and she had a blank look on her face, I couldn't tell what she was thinking. She glimpsed at me before standing up and going out onto the balcony and resting her forearms on the railing. A couple of seconds later I saw the plumes of smoke move past her head. I stood up and limped towards the balcony, not knowing what she was going to say.

"Eun-Jae?" I called out, before walking out onto the balcony and standing beside her. 

She stood upright and glared at me, talking long pulls from the cigarette, letting the smoke slowly leave her lips. Two days ago, she didn't even want to smoke with me in the room, but now it was obvious she didn't care as she let the large chalky, white smoke float in my direction, the familiar scent making me choke slightly. Eun-Jae pulled the cigarette from her lips and stared at me, at first she looked angry but there was a sudden sadness in her eyes. 

Suddenly there's a clap sort of sound, like a wet towel landing on glass. That's when I started to feel the stinging on the left side of my face. There was a quiet ringing noise in my ear as I started to fully process what just happened. She hit me?... I touched my cheek and it felt hot. She hit me.

I stared at her in shock and she glared back at me.

"You can stay... But pull that shit again and your out." She mumbled, flicking the cigarette into the ashtray and walking back into the house. I stared blankly in front of me still surprised. Was it because she was drunk? Maybe she didn't mean it? No... She still would've hit me even if she wasn't drunk.