I think I know now.

Content Warning; Death, Blood mentions

Butters lies in bed, thinking.

Wait. Isn't Kenny...
Kenny is Mysterion, right?

Oh god! He is!

Butters makes that realisation, and consequently  finds it difficult to sleep.

His brain forces him awake with thoughts until finally, it's just.

Wait. Is Kenny in love with me?

He falls asleep at about 1:30AM that night.

At 6:30, Butters wakes up to his dad yelling at his mom.

"D-Dad?"
Butters sleepily rubs his eyes and gets up off the bed.

He walks downstairs.

"B-Butters, come with me, mommy wants to talk to you."
His mother pokes her head out and talks.

"O-O-Okay mom!"
He stands for a few seconds until Linda grabs his hand and takes him into the kitchen.

"Listen, Butters. Your good friend Kenny went to the hospital last night, so you get today off school to go see him, okay?"
She tells him with a shaky voice.

Maybe, Kenny would feel a bit better if I wasn't so stupid and realised how he felt.

"Now, Butters. Go upstairs and get dressed so you can go see Kenny, okay?"
She tells him.

"Okay mom!"
Butters nods and rushes upstairs.

He runs into his room, and the smile immediately falls off his face as he starts to cry.

Kenny, his best friend in tbe world, the one who had loved him all this time, was sick in hospital, and Butters could've made it all easier if he had just realised. It had happened now, anyway.

Butters went to get dressed, looking through his wardrobe for his shirt, pants, and baby teal fleece jacket.

He takes his pyjamas off and gets his clothes on, finally having stopped crying by the time the zip of his jacket was up.

He rushed back downstairs, and put his shoes on. His mom and dad were already in the car, and Butters slid into the backseat, buckling his seatbelt.

The car engine starts.

It starts to move.
It turns.
It begins to drive down the street.

All the other kids are at school.
The streets are dead.
Nobody is there.

Eventually, the car parks.

"Come on, son! We've got to see Kenny!"

The Stotches unbuckle their seatbelts and get out of the car. Linda locks the car before taking hold of Butters' hand and walking in with him and her husband Stephen.

"Oh, hello! What are you in for today?"
The rather pretty nurse at the front desk asks.

"Oh, we're just here to see Kenneth McCormick!"
Stephen Stotch declares to her.

"Oh, little Kenny is in room..."
She types something on her laptop.
"He's in room 12 in wing B on the second floor."
She smiles politely, brushing her fingers through her hair.

Butters can't help but look at her. She's beautiful.

His thought process is cut off when he gets dragged upstairs to floor 2 by his parents.

They walk to sector B.

And then room 12.

"You can go in by yourself, Butters."
Linda smiles at him.

Butters knocks three times on the door before walking inside and closing the door behind him.

Kenny is not there.

All that is there are splotches of blood on the bed and a trash can filled with bloody tissues and bloody flowers. The blanket isn't anywhere to be seen.

Butters' legs turn to jelly, and he feels his knees give way beneath him.
He falls to the floor, tears filling his eyes and beginning to trickle down his face.
"K-Kenn'?"
Butters mumbles out, hoping that he's crazy and Kenny is right there, lying in bed.

He isn't.

Butters rubs his eyes. Tears glaze over his eyes more and it gets harder to see.

Kenny is not there.

Kenny is dead.

Butters pulls out his phone.

Boys gc

~B.ttrz!~: Kenny's dead.

Stan.sbf1: Something killed Kenny??

Kyle.sbf2: Whatever it is, it's a FUCKING BASTARD!
__________________________」

The phone falls out of his shaky hands. It lands on it's back and doesn't crack, but it falls hard.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck..."
He mumbles to himself, sobbing.

He stands up, and slowly walks towards the hospital bed.

A note, with a few splatters of dry blood. It's folded twice.

Butters opens the letter.
It reads;

This is a letter to the people who deserve it most.
Karen and Butters.

This isn't a suicide letter, as much as that made it sound like it.

It's that I'm sick. I know damn well I'm gonna die.

To Karen,
I want you to know I would've done anything to protect you. I wish you nothing less than perfection in your life. You're the best person I've ever met. I'm surprised I love you so much, as most siblings hate each-other.
I'm sorry that Mysterion has come to check on me rather than you. I guess you won't see him anymore, unless I come back like always.

And to Butters,
I love you so much. You're perfect. I don't want anyone LIKE you, I want YOU. God, you're beautiful. My heart aches when I'm near you. Also my throat... I think I should tell you the truth.
I was sick with a disease known as Hanahakakii, or whatever. Hanahaki. I loved you and yet you failed to love me back. I don't blame you. You're just a little dumb. Also, I know that you were Leah. I'm not stupid. I know your face.

—Kenny McCormick

Tears dropped from Butters' eyes as he read it.
Kenny really did love him.

And it was his fault that he was gone.

It's all your fault, Butters. You're stupid.

He probably despises you now.

'Hey, bunny. Don't say that about yourself.'