Matchbreaker

After a lot of explaining and summarizing and defining, everyone finally succeeded in giving Brad all the information he needed to assist in saving the world. After a short state of shock, he was finally coming to his senses, and a good thing too, because it was getting very late.

Will was talking to Dustin and Mike about some sort of robotics competition Dustin had partaken in the last month. He noticed Mike turn his head sharply when Brad appeared at the door. Will had no idea why Mike seemed to absolutely hate his boyfriend so much. Even before they had met, Mike was automatically hostile toward him. Then again, Brad didn't seem to like Mike either. Will wished they'd just get along. It was so awkward, having his boyfriend meet the guy who he'd had a crush on throughout his entire childhood.

Will just hoped Mike didn't hate Brad for the wrong reasons. He'd caught onto the fact that his parents were pretty intolerant, so he wouldn't be too surprised if it had simply rubbed off on their son. But Mike had never seemed like that kind of person. Mike knew what it was like to be different.

So far, nobody had even mentioned the fact that Will had a boyfriend. It was surreal, like it was completely normal of him. Max had hardly batted an eye. Dustin and Lucas had almost seemed happy. Jane had no reaction, but that's because she already knew. Jane knew about everything.

Mike was the only one who had looked less than pleased, but in their conversation, he hadn't argued against Brad being a guy once. Just his personality. Will really hoped he wasn't secretly disgusted.

Brad continued to lean in the door. "I booked us a room at this motel in town," he said to Will. "Thought it'd be best not to bother your parents with our company. It's a small house." It really wasn't that small of a house, but Will understood. He wasn't exactly sure about the plan, but he understood. Will would've much rather stayed in his parents' house. He liked his parents' house.

"Oh, thanks. I hadn't thought of that." Will flashed a smile.

"Yeah, we should probably get going, though. It's late."

Will stood up, stretching his back. It was sore from sitting on the floor. He was no longer thirteen, that was for sure. "Yeah, coming."

Mike cleared his throat, also getting to his feet. "Hey, uh, how many beds have you got in the room?"

Brad raised an eyebrow, eyeing Mike. "One. Why?"

Mike scrunched his face up. "You think there's a couch in there? Or something? Or maybe we could swap it out for a bigger room..."

"Why?" Brad asked, almost nippy. "It's not your roo-"

"Well, you see, I kinda need somewhere to stay too, and it just made so much sense. Staying with my best friend and his boyfriend. Like, I don't mean to bother you, but I'm sure it'll be fine. Since we all get along so well." Mike smiled, an underlying tone of mischief that only Will could pick up. What was he trying to do?

Brad looked unamused. "Can't you stay with your parents?"

Mike shook his head. "Unfortunately, no. As you said, I wouldn't want to disturb them with my presence." He sighed. "And, actually, we're not on the best of terms right now, so... Look, I can pay for some of the costs and stuff."

Brad rolled his eyes. "Why can't you just make up with them instead of botheri-"

" Babe," Will said plainly, nudging Brad. "Come on, why can't we let him stay? He's even offering to pay for some of the room." Will had no idea what Mike was attempting, but he felt compelled to help him out. Especially if the thing about his parents was true.

Brad opened his mouth to argue and closed it again. "Fine. He can come."

Mike clapped his hands together. "Aw, great. You're so kind, really. I'll make it up to you, I really will." He walked forward, stepping in between Will and Brad and leading them toward the front door. "I've got a car, so I can provide transportation. How about that?"