Accidental Awkwardness

Mike got into the driver's side of his car, Will on the passenger's. He couldn't believe everything had worked out so perfectly. Will was in a great mood because his brother was alive, and Mike was loving that his brother was alive because Jonathan had offered to deal with Brad, leaving Mike and Will alone. He'd always thought Jonathan hated him, but he seemed like he was helping him out as of now. He almost thought he saw a sly grin of sorts when Jonathan offered to go with Brad. Whatever the reason, Mike wasn't going to argue.

"So," he said, starting up the engine. "Just like old times, huh? You and me? Saving the world?"

Will rolled his eyes. "I feel like you've used that line before."

"I'll stop saying it when it stops happening." Somehow, Mike and Will always found their way back to each other, no matter how separated they had made themselves. It was like they were soul mates or something. Perhaps they were. Mike liked the idea of it. He liked the sound. Soul mates.

"Fair enough." Will shuffled around his seat in the car, a bit awkwardly. "So... what are you planning to cover up the gate with, huh? It would need to be pretty big."

"Actually haven't got that far in my plan yet," Mike admitted. "Maybe we could brainstorm over lunch? I'm getting hungry again."

"Lunch..." Will repeated. "I mean, yeah. That sounds awesome. Where were you thinking?" Sounded like somewhat forced excitement. Mike could read it well.

"Those feelings in your neck. Are they bad? I mean, you seem uncomfortable."

Will sighed. "How could you tell?"

"Two years later, you still have the same mannerisms you did when you were eighteen, Will. Actually, you still have the same mannerisms you did when you were thirteen. And I'm an expert on that." Mike paused. "We were best friends."

Will looked sad. "Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Make me feel bad about it! It's not fair, Mike. We haven't even talked in all that time. Best friends don't do that." Will crossed his arms, obviously upset. But not angry. Mike had the feeling he didn't want to not be best friends.

"Then why didn't you call me?"

"Why didn't you call me?"

Mike looked around. So far, their little adventure was not going as he had planned. "I- I guess I was scared. At first. I never understood why, but I do now." It felt good to say it out loud.

That caught Will's attention and he looked back at Mike, raising an eyebrow. "You were scared? Of what?" Mike had now put himself in a bad situation. He couldn't just tell him. Could he?

"I feel like we're getting off-topic. How bad is the neck thing?"

"Mike," Will said sternly. "Please tell me. I just want to understand." So changing the subject wouldn't work. Mike sighed. He couldn't believe he'd got himself into this.

"You tell me first. What were you scared of? You didn't call either." There, now they both had something at stake. Mike had leveled the playing field, hopefully.

Will seemed surprised at the request but then exhaled before speaking. "I was scared... Well, I just thought you didn't want to talk. I mean, you seemed to not want to talk to me as much after you broke up with Jane and then you were going off to Harvard... and with how much I heard you were liking it, I just thought maybe you didn't want me to call you." It almost made Mike laugh, the fact that Will thought he liked Harvard so much. Or that anyone thought he liked Harvard so much.