Friendly Conversation

Dinner started out lively and loud, everyone talking about their fun college experiences and forgetting, for a moment, about the state of Hawkins and the potential roaming demogorgon. It got quieter after Will and Brad stepped outside. Brad had whispered something into Will's ear and Will had looked less than pleased with what he heard. He whispered something back and then Brad said that they should talk in private for a while. So they went out in the backyard. Nobody at the table thought very much of it, except for Mike, who would try and peek out the window at what they were doing every now and then. Unfortunately, he couldn't see them.

Lucas grabbed Mike's arm as he tried to look out again, giving him a stern stare. "They're fine, Mike. Just eat your dinner."

Dustin looked from Mike to the window. "What's going on with you and Will anyway, Mike? You didn't talk at all when you got back from covering up the gate." Did Dustin really have to bring it up?

Mike sighed. "We're fine. He's just... shaken up from the vision thing. It was pretty scary so he's rightfully quiet."

Max raised an eyebrow. "He wasn't quiet with us when we were talking about the old guy who died and stuff. He seemed completely fine to me."

Jane looked concerned too. "Are you sure everything's alright, Mike? Why isn't he talking to you?"

"It's nothing," Mike assured everyone at the table. "It was just a little disagreement. We'll get over it." He looked at Lucas for some sort of help.

Lucas cleared his throat. "Okay, guys, if it's their personal problem, maybe we should just stay out of it." Mike nodded in agreement and everyone around the table went back to eating their food. Dustin started up a conversation about some game he saw at the store.

Mike didn't know what to do. Will was super mad at him and he was still dating that horrible guy. Mike's plan had essentially failed. He wasn't sure what his next step of action should be.

Minutes passed. Will and Brad did not come back inside and Mike grew increasingly curious by the second. Eventually, he stood up from the table, gaining everyone's attention.

He smiled. "Gotta take a walk quick. I'm feeling a little dizzy for some reason."

Jane frowned. "Do you need water or something? Can we help?"

Mike shook his head. "No, no. That's fine, thanks. I just need a little bit of time." Mike waved and left the table, going towards the kitchen and the porch door.

He heard Jonathan speak from the table. "What's up with him today?"

As Mike pulled the porch door open slightly, he jumped at Will standing on the other side as if he were just about to come in. Brad was still out on the lawn, looking pissed.

Will scrunched his face up at Mike. "What are you doing?" Mike noticed that his eyes were watery.

Mike grabbed Will's arm and asked in a low voice, "Are you okay?"

Will ripped his arm away from Mike's grip, scoffing. "Of course I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"You just don't look okay."

"Well, thanks for the concern, but I am." Will pushed past his friend and headed immediately to the bathroom. Mike was about to follow him when he heard Brad call out.

"Mike! Come down here, will you? I've gotta talk to you." Mike didn't know if he sounded cheerful or as if he was about to knock Mike out, put him in a trash bag, and throw him into Lovers' Lake.

"Mike, do you hear me? Are you deaf or something?" Mike turned to face Brad and walked onto the porch, closing the door behind him. He reluctantly went down the stairs and met Brad in the middle of the lawn.