The Cliff

Notes- TW for implied suicidal thoughts/intentions

-3 years ago-

Mike had all the windows down, the wind blowing his hair back so he looked like some cool guy from the movies that girls in Will's grade liked to watch. Somebody he'd seen on a poster in Nancy's old room once. Will tried not to use the word when describing Mike, but he was beautiful and there was no other way to say it.

He was singing along to the cassette tape they'd made. Will had to keep reminding him to keep his eyes on the road. The last thing Will wanted to do right now was die because Mike ran them off a cliff. Give me this one moment, universe.

"Michael! Open your eyes!" Will pinched his friend. "I'm gonna shut the music off if you keep doing that!"

Mike laughed out loud. "Sorry, sorry. I'm just in such a good mood. I mean, I've wanted this license for years, Will. I finally got it! It's like the start of a brand new life! Officially no more Upside Down affecting everything. I've got my fucking driver's license!" He yelled it out the window.

Will smiled, his friend's own happiness rubbing off on him. "Yeah, good job! I've almost got mine, just so you know."

"Well, if you don't get it, that's okay. I'll just drive you everywhere."

That made Will blush. It was embarrassing that he still liked this guy so much. "Aw, my own personal chauffeur. How elegant."

Mike took on a British accent. "Of course, your majesty." They both laughed. Will hadn't had this much fun with Mike in forever. He had been worried since he'd been more distant than usual ever since he and El broke up. They were still best friends, just... less inseparable. Will still felt inseparable.

Mike sighed. "I do not want to go to school tomorrow. I've got three tests, Will. Doesn't that suck."

"Poor you, I have four."

"Well shit, let's just skip or something. Have you ever done that? Skip school?" Mike looked from the road to Will, excited.

Will gasped comedically. "Who are you and where's Mike? Skip school? Seriously? You wouldn't have the guts."

Mike shook his head. "I don't know, I'm seriously considering. School doesn't sound fun at all... Actually, let's just run away."

"Oh yeah, awesome plan."

"Right? I can drive us out of Hawkins right now." Mike looked across the horizon for a turn.

Will crossed his arms. "We can run away after I get my license. How about that?" Running away with Mike sounded very exciting to Will. Part of him wouldn't mind it at all.

Mike laughed. "If only we didn't have to go off to college and shit. Sometimes I wish being successful wasn't so much work."

Will frowned. "Hey, college will be fine. We're gonna keep in touch and stuff. Update each other on our lives."

"You think we'll get some serious girlfriends?"

Will tensed at the question. He would, in fact, not be getting a girlfriend. Sometimes he forgot Mike didn't know that. "Yeah, maybe. You'll have to tell me all about her if you do."

"Well, maybe. I don't wanna make you too jealous."

Will rolled his eyes, slightly nervous. "I'm not gonna be jealous of your girlfriend, idiot." He definitely would.

"Well, I might be jealous if you get one. Or a new best friend. You've got to promise you won't get a new best friend."

"I wouldn't dream of it, Mike. I don't think I'm ever gonna have a friend that beats you. You're the only one who's ever taken me out on their first drive after they got their driver's license."